Softball takes one win, two losses against Amherst

Emma Harrington ’15 has maintained a batting average against of .255 in her senior season in the purple and gold.

Last weekend, softball (15-5, 3-2 in the NESCAC) lost to Amherst 6-0 on Sunday after trading games with them on Saturday, suffering a 9-8 loss in the nightcap after taking the first 2-0.

On Sunday, Amherst pitcher Jackie Buechler tossed a complete-game, two-hit shutout, and Amherst’s Donna Leet went 3-for-4 from the plate with a pair of RBIs as Amherst downed Williams 6-0 in the Pioneer Valley.

Amherst got off to a quick start in the bottom of the first with an RBI double to give Amherst a 1-0 lead. In the bottom of the third, Amherst added to its lead when Ally Kido walked and then advanced to third on a double down the right field line, giving Amherst two runners in scoring position. A third runner then reached on a fielder’s choice bunt back up the middle and Kido beat the throw of pitcher Brooke Bovier ’17 to set the score at 2-0. A pair of strikeouts got the Ephs out of the inning without further damage.

In the top of the fourth, Kacey Cramer ’16 reached on a bunt single, and Williams then loaded the bases following a pair of miscues by Amherst’s defense to load the bases with two outs. Buechler then forced a groundout to third base to end the inning without allowing a run.

The Jeffs responded to the Ephs’ threat with three runs in the bottom of the fourth, giving the Jeffs a 5-0 advantage. Amherst twice had runners on third later in the fourth, but Williams got out of the jam. Amherst added another run in the sixth inning, and the game ended with a 6-0 win for Amherst.

Bovier (7-3) allowed six runs on 10 hits and struck out seven batters in the six-inning loss for the Ephs. Alison Michalik ’17 and Cramer registered Williams’ two hits in the game.

Prior to their fall to the Jeffs on Sunday, the Ephs split games against their archrival on Saturday, taking game one versus the Jeffs 2-0 behind a two-hit shutout from Bovier and succumbing to two rallies in the nightcap, 9-8.

The opener was a pitcher’s duel between Buechler and Bovier. The Ephs had two of their five hits in the first inning however, as co-captain Mo Frank ’15 singled with one out and scored when Cramer launched a two-run homer over the fence in left field for a 2-0 lead.

Bovier allowed only three baserunners through the first six innings, giving up a second-inning single and hitting two other batters. She finished with a no-walk effort, striking out four over her seven innings of work as she improved to 7-2 from the circle.

In the nightcap, the Ephs built leads of 5-1 and 8-5 but could not hold off the Jeffs, who went on to win 9-8 with co-captain Emma Harrington ’15 taking the loss pitching.

Over spring break Williams went 14-3, sweeping Middlebury, Redlands, Pomona-Pitzer, La Sierra, La Verne and Occidental. The team split games against Chapman and Vanguard and came up just short playing against Whittier. Results from the women’s games on Tuesday against RPI came in too late to report. The women will next play Western Connecticut State today at 3:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.

The women eagerly anticipate the remainder of their season. “The team has had a lot of success so far this season,” Harrington said. “Our hard work this fall is paying off. We  play loose and confident and have a lot of fun. I can’t imagine a better team to share my senior season with.”