Men’s track strides on new Lee Track

Men’s track and field hosted its first meet on the new Lee Track this weekend at the Dick Farley Invitational. Opening the day for the Ephs were the field events. The team entered five athletes into the hammer throw. Leading the way was Olivier Joseph ’17, who finished with a 45.96-meter throw and qualified for Div. III New Englands. Next up were Christopher Lyons ’17 and Matthew Marcarelli ’17, who finished with 35.01-meter and 33.80-meter throws, respectively. Liam Pembroke ’18 and Lloyd Campbell ’18 rounded out the hammer throw squad with 33.64-meter and 30.28-meter throws. Pembroke and Marcarelli also threw the discus; Pembroke threw 39.40 meters and Marcarelli threw 30.90 meters. Lyons, Marcarelli and Joseph also doubled back to compete in the shot put. Lyons took seventh overall with a 13.00-meter throw, Marcarelli finished with a 12.38-meter throw and Joseph finished with a 9.45-meter throw.

Youle Chen ’17 and Ian Outhwaite ’17 competed in the high jump. Chen won the event with a 1.98-meter jump and Outhwaite came in second with a 1.93-meter jump. Both have now hit the Div. III New England and the ECAC standard. Wilson Wang ’18 triple jumped for the Ephs, taking third in 11.91 meters and qualifying for NESCACs. Nolan Raimo ’16 was the only long jumper for the Ephs and took third overall in 6.05 meters.

Reid Pryzant ’16 and Pierceson Brown ’18 continued to show their strength as Williams’ pole vaulting duo, taking first and second in the pole vault by each vaulting 4.27 meters.

Opening the running events for the Ephs was Peter Hale ’17 in the 3000-meter steeplechase. Hale led from start to finish and handily won in 10:11.92.

With the cold gusts of wind and large field, the pack stayed together for most of the 1500 meter. Todd Ford ’16 was the one to make the decisive move, breaking away from the others with 400 meters to go and holding on to win in 4:08.08. Not far behind, Luke Hinz ’17 and Griffin Colaizzi ’18 battled it out until the last possible moment, with Hinz taking second overall in 4:09.10 and Colaizzi taking third in 4:09.11. Co-captain Andrew Beaudoin ’15 was next up for the Ephs in 4:10.01, followed by Cole Townsend ’15 in 4:13.43. Despite the less than ideal wind conditions, Laye Samoura ’15 tied his season best in the 110-meter hurdles by running 15.29 seconds. Conor Dunham ’18 finished in 15.74 seconds. Tobias Muellers ’18 also toughed out a win in the 400-meter dash in 50.51 seconds. Kevin Persons ’16 finished in 53.52 seconds and qualified for NESCACs.

In the 100-meter dash, co-captain Jared Nowell ’15 led the way for the Ephs and took fourth overall in a season best 11.20 seconds. Alex Deaderick ’15 was next up, finishing in 11.40 seconds. Connor Harris ’18 and Kyrien Edwards ’17 made their outdoor season debuts in the event and finished in 11.81 seconds and 11.88 seconds to qualify for NESCACs.

The 800 meter featured gritty performances in each heat. In the first heat, Steven Yannacone ’17 steadily moved up through the race and took first overall in 1:56.13. Samuel Burrington ’17 took sixth overall in 1:58.66. The next group of Ephs competed in the second heat. The pack had to fight their way out of a tight group and it was Lucas Elek ’17 who pulled away to win his heat and take seventh overall in 1:59.67. Ford and Matt Tarduno ’16 were the next finishers in 2:00.17 and 2:00.58, respectively. Alex Cowen ’18 and Brad Clark ’18 also fought hard in the same heat and finished in 2:01.68 and 2:03.47, respectively. All athletes in the second heat – Elek, Ford, Tarduno, Cowen and Clark – hit the NESCAC qualifying standard. Finally, Ian Concannon ’18 contested in and won the third heat of the 800 meter in 2:07.74 after making a huge move in the last 150 meters of the race.

Raimo improved his personal best time in the 400-meter hurdles and took second overall in 55.13 seconds. Ian Mook ’18 and Ezequiel Davila ’16 came in close together, with Mook finishing in fourth in a personal best 56.76 seconds and Davila in fifth in 57.58 seconds. Wang rounded out the hurdles effort and finished in 67.32 seconds.

Five Ephs competed in the 200-meter dash, led by Persons with a 22.83-second fourth-place performance. Nowell and Muellers were next for the Ephs in 23.05 and 23.09 seconds, followed by Deaderick in 23.88 seconds and Kyrien Edwards ’17 in 24.55 seconds.

Kyle Kistinger ’16 led the way for the Ephs in the 5000 meter, taking third overall in 15:23.40 and qualifying for NESCACs and Div. III New Englands. Next up was Ben Decker ’18, who placed fourth and ran 15:26.23 to qualify for NESCACs.  All hit the NESCACs standard.

Prior to this meet, the team finished its spring break training trip in competing at the California Collegiate Invitational at the University of California at San Diego. Head Coach David Thompson and the Ephs walked away from the weekend with many more personal bests and finished fifth in a field of 10 teams, most of which were not Div. III schools.

The Ephs showed their depth in the middle distances again in the 1500 meter. Co-captain Aldis Inde ’15 won the 1500 meter, setting a personal best for the second consecutive week in a time of 3:52.79. Inde also qualified for All New Englands. The 800 meter featured the second strong display of the Williams middle distance squad. Beaudoin led the way for the Ephs, taking third overall in 1:54.15, a new outdoor personal best.

The men also competed at the Point Loma Invitational in San Diego, Calif. on March 28. The Ephs finished second in a field of 12 teams. Mook competed in the javelin throw and set over a six-meter personal best with his 51.78-meter throw. His throw qualifies him for NESCACs and Div. III New Englands. Chen opened his season on a high note, winning the high jump in 1.93 meters. His mark qualifies him for NESCACs, Div. III New Englands and ECACs. To open the running events, the Ephs entered a team in the 4×100 relay. The team of Deaderick, Raimo, Nowell and Ofori-Atta ran a gritty race and took second over a close field with a time of 42.26 seconds. This is the fastest time run by a Williams 4×100 relay team in three years. Ofori-Atta won the 100 meter in 10.68 seconds, setting a new outdoor personal best and tying the school record in the event.

The men next race on Friday at Princeton and are excited about the remainder of their season. “Over spring break we had a lot of great performances and really took advantage of the good weather. A lot of guys continued their improvements from indoor and we are looking stronger than ever as a team,” co-captain Aldis Inde ’15 said. “This past weekend, we got to inaugurate the new track and celebrate long time coach Dick Farley which was a special experience. We managed the tough conditions well and positioned ourselves nicely for when we return home in two weeks for NESCACs.”