Men’s lax concedes loss to Wesleyan

Last weekend, men’s lacrosse (7-4, 4-4 in the NESCAC) struggled against Wesleyan, losing a close game 9-8. The loss comes on the heels of three consecutive defeats to Hamilton, Amherst and Tufts. Before that, the men defeated Union and Bates.

On Saturday, the Ephs started off strong with a three-goal run with goals scored by Riley Hoffman ’17, Tanner MacIvor ’16 and co-captain Eric Kelley ’15. Wesleyan scored one goal at the end of the quarter, making the score 3-1. The second quarter was action-packed, with the two teams trading goals back and forth. The Cardinals capitalized on a man-up opportunity to score the first goal of the quarter, but Hoffman responded quickly with a goal of his own. Jack Lauroesch ’16 and Andy Grabowski ’15 each scored a goal, but the Cardinals responded well, and the Ephs’ lead at the half was 6-5. Wesleyan had a three-goal run to start the second half, which was stopped with a goal by co-captain Steven Kiesel ’15 with less than two minutes left in the third quarter. The Ephs kept the Cardinals to one goal in the fourth quarter and MacIvor scored another, but it was not enough at they fell 9-8. Co-captain Dan Whittam ’15 saved 13 of 22 shots and Ryan Hamilton ’16 had five caused turnovers in the contest.

The men’s luck did not turn around when they played Hamilton on April 7, and they suffered a 10-6 defeat. The beginning of the game looked promising, with Kiesel scoring three goals, while Duncan Cummings ’17 and Fowler each scored one to put the Ephs up 5-4 at the half. However, Williams had difficulty finding the back of the net in the second half and only scored one goal, made by Hoffman with just over a minute left in the game. The defense, led by Hamilton and co-captain John Maimone-Medwick ’15, played a strong game, causing nine turnovers, and Whittam saved 13 of 22 shots.

On April 4, the men lost to rival Amherst, falling 12-8 despite hard work on all ends of the field. Amherst opened the scoring and notched two goals before Kiesel scored the lone Williams’ goal of the quarter. Michael Fahey ’17 and Tom Fowler ’17 scored for the Ephs in the second quarter, but the Jeffs scored four more to increase their lead to 8-3. Both teams only scored one goal in the third quarter, with MacIvor scoring for the Ephs. MacIvor, Grabowski, Lauroesch and Kiesel all scored in the final quarter, but the Ephs could not make up the deficit, losing 12-8.

Williams also fell 20-6 to Tufts, ranked No. 1 in the nation. Despite having 47 shots, the Ephs could not find the back of the net and nobody scored more than one goal in the game. The majority of Williams’ goals were scored during man-up situations.

The men traveled to Florida over spring break where they beat Union, then ranked No. 3 in the country, 16-10. Kiesel scored five goals in the game, closely followed by Bryson Gilbert-Bono ’16 who notched three. Grabowski had a pair of goals and Kelley, Lauroesch, Fahey, MacIvor, Alex Okemah ’16 and Cummings each had one. Whittam saved 14 of 24 shots.

In a NESCAC success, the men started their spring break with a decided victory against Bates, winning 11-5. In the first quarter, the Ephs held the Bobcats scoreless, but notched five goals themselves with contributions coming from Gilbert-Bono, Grabowski, Lauroesch, Kiesel and Fowler. In the second quarter, Grabowski scored his second goal and Bates scored their first of the game. Both teams notched two goals in the third quarter, with the Ephs’ goals coming from Kiesel and MacIvor. Kiesel and Grabowski scored yet again in response to two Bobcat goals to bring the final score to 11-5 after a goal from Fahey.

The team travels to play Vassar today at 4:30 p.m. before heading to Maine to face Colby on Saturday.