Ephs win Vassar Invitational

Co-captain Caroline Sawin ’15 posted an individual score of 79 at Vassar.

Women’s golf opened its spring season with a strong showing at the Vassar Invitational after being unable to practice outside last week. The team won the Vassar Invitational by 15 strokes over NYU. Transfer Sophie Kitchen ’17 performed well in her first tournament for the Ephs, posting a 78. Kitchen transferred to Williams in February from University of Minnesota.

Unfortunately, the course was soggy from snow and rain throughout fairways, greens and roughs, and the tournament was played with the rule to “lift, clean and place.” The greens were uneven and difficult for the players to putt on, as they had been ravaged by the harsh winter. The players were constantly dealing with causal water all day. However, the tournament was the first golf the course has seen all season, and the public is still using temporary greens.

On the first day, co-captain Shelby Shote ’15 led the Ephs with a 73. Phoebe Mattana ’18 posted a 77 to tie for second place. Tracey Kim ’17 and Kitchen both shot 78 to tie for fifth. Sarah Hasselman ’17 rounded out the top five with an 80, finishing tied for ninth as an individual. Co-captain Caroline Sawin ’15 posted 88 as an individual player. The Ephs collectively shot a 306.

The team met several of its internal, more specific goals: the Ephs posted four scores in the 70s, and placed five of its players in the top 10.

On the second day of the tournament, the women put up a valiant effort to shoot a 311, as the course was still very wet and played long for some players.

Williams had a two-day total of 617. NYU was in second place with a strong performance, posting 312 as a team for a two-day total of 632. In third place was Ithaca College with a two-day total of 657. Their 321 was enough to edge out Middlebury from third place.

Shote came in at three over par (75) to win as the individual with a two-day total of 148. She won by two strokes over NYU’s Alyssa Poentis, who posted a 73 on Day Two. In third place was Mattana, who shot 77 again today. Kitchen also repeated the solid performance she had the day before, posting another 78 to finish tied for fourth.

Hasselman and Kim shot 81 and 82, respectively, and Sawin posted a 79, improving by nine strokes from her score on the first day of competition.

Sawin reflected positively on the results of the Invitational. “This was a promising spring opening weekend,” said Sawin. “The team played well under difficult conditions and we met many of our team goals. It was great to see Sophie play well in her first tournament as an Eph and Shelby played her steady and consistent game to win the tournament, her second of the year. We are looking forward to the upcoming tournaments.”

The Ephs play next at the Jack Leaman Tournament in Amherst, Mass this upcoming weekend. Thereafter, the women will compete at home in the Williams Spring Invite, April 25-26.