College admits 16.8 percent of applicants for Class of 2019

Most admitted students hail from the Mid-Atlantic, followed by the West. The fewest students hailed from the Southwest. Ten per- cent of admitted students live abroad. Isabella Huang/Productions Manager
Most admitted students hail from the Mid-Atlantic, followed by the West. The fewest students hailed from the Southwest. Ten percent of admitted students live abroad. Isabella Huang/Productions Manager
Top-The overall acceptance rate for the Class of 2019 was 16.8 percent Bottom-Of the accepted students, 8.8 percent were international students.
Top-The overall acceptance rate for the Class of 2019 was 16.8 percent Bottom-Of the accepted students, 8.8 percent were international students. Michael Green/News Editor via Infogr.am
Figure 2 - Most places in the Class of 2019 will be filled by students admitted in regular decision, followed by early decision.
Most places in the Class of 2019 will be filled by students admitted in regular decision, followed by early decision. Michael Green/News Editor via Infogr.am

The College admitted 1159 applicants, for the Class of 2019, out of a total applicant pool of 6883, for an overall acceptance rate of 16.8 percent.

These numbers represent an increase in the number of applicants from the Class of 2018, from 6316, as well as a slight increase in the number of acceptances from 1150. However, the overall acceptance rate declined from 18 percent.

“We couldn’t be more pleased with the admitted group,” Richard Nesbitt ’74, director of admission, said. “Once the dust settles, we expect this to be one of the most academically gifted and socioeconomically diverse classes ever to enter Williams.”

There are 567 women and 592 men in the pool of admitted students. There are 102 international students of 46 different nationalities. Half of the American students are students of color, including 195 Asian American, 195 black, 182 Latino and 11 Native American students.

Of admitted students, 14 percent, 159 students, are affiliated with QuestBridge, an organization that collaborates with colleges to identify high-achieving high school students from low-income backgrounds. Windows on Williams, a program sponsored by the College that enables high-achieving high school seniors from low-income backgrounds to visit the campus during the fall, hosted 116 admitted students.

Admitted students had average SAT scores of 731 in critical reading, 720 in math, and 727 in writing. The average super-scored ACT was a 33. Of students who submitted their class rank, 86 percent will graduate in the top 10 percent of their class.

Ten percent of admitted students demonstrated high aptitude in music, studio art, theater or dance. One admitted student is a member of the Navy’s special operations force, the SEALs. The Office of Admission said that 85 students demonstrated a great commitment to community service and referred to 41 students as “bridge builders,” meaning they demonstrated a commitment to activities that reach diverse backgrounds.  The Office of Admission also determined that 280 students have “intellectual vitality,” meaning they demonstrated promise as a “classroom catalyst who would have a significant impact in labs or class discussions.”

Of all students, 28 percent hail from the Mid-Atlantic, 21 percent from the West, 15 percent from the Northeast, 11 percent from the South, eight percent from the Midwest and five percent from the Southwest. Five students reside in Puerto Rico and one lives in Saipan, Northern Mariana Islands. The remaining 10 percent of students live abroad, including two students who live on military installations.

Like last year, the target size for the Class of 2019 is 550 students. Forty-seven percent of the class will be composed of the 244 early decision students and 15 students who took a gap year. Students who applied regular decision received their acceptances by March 25 and have until May 1 to decide whether or not to enroll. Accepted students were invited to visit Williams for Previews on Monday and Tuesday.