Christian ’16 and Espinoza ’16 begin presidential tenure

Marcus Christian ’16 (left) and Jesús Espinoza ’16 (right) held their first meeting as CC presidents last Wednesday. Photo courtesy of Ana Contreras

On March 20, Marcus Christian ’16 and Jesús Espinoza ’16 won the College Council (CC) co-presidency. In a special election with 46-percent voter turnout, their ticket garnered 53 percent of the vote. Jochebed Bogunjoko ’16 and Meghana Vunnamadala ’16 received 27 percent, and Teddy Cohan ’16 received 14 percent. Record Editor-in-Chief Rachel Lee ’16 and Managing Editor Eva Fourakis ’16 talked to Christian and Espinoza about their plans for CC.

What were your initial reactions to this year’s election results?

Christian: I was very excited. I was packing and getting ready to go home. It was a little late and three-quarters of my entry had left, but they immediately started yelling my name in the common room, so I ran out. It was great to spend time with them, and then I had a nice quiet two weeks where nobody said anything about College Council (CC). It was a very exciting time, and it was one of those things where there’s just a lot more work that’s going to happen soon. So I was happy I had spring break to gear up for that.

Espinoza: I was ecstatic. I was really happy. When it comes to elections I don’t try to assume that everything’s going to go as planned; I just try to prepare for everything. So getting that news and especially with the timing, having just finished everything for school and packing, it was just like the best. I was with some friends and it was like a little mini celebration but then I had to go back to packing.

What have you learned from the campaign process?

Christian: I’ve learned that a lot of people have a lot of opinions on campus and a lot of people are ready to talk about them. But they don’t necessarily feel like they can talk about them whenever they want to. I think that’s a problem. I think that the campaign is one of those times when people get excited and ready to talk and ready to make things happen. And then I think some people just sort of feel forgotten after that process is done. I learned that there’s a lot of excitement about the school and excitement about CC through the campaign process, but that we need to keep that excitement going, that level of engagement going throughout the whole year.

Espinoza: It was humbling and beautiful, too, how people were so willing to help us on our campaign, friends and even acquaintances that we didn’t really know that well. Seeing how willing people were to be involved in our campaign. A lot of generosity. It just exposed me to how great of an extent there is at Williams.