Athlete of the Week: 4/15/15

Shelby Shote '15
Shelby Shote ’15

Shelby Shote ’16

Women’s Golf (Shertling, Va.)

“Shelby played outstanding golf all weekend.  To shoot 73-75 for her two rounds in difficult conditions is a testament to her toughness and focus.  I am proud she was able to build on her fall event performances and open the spring season strong.”

– Bill Kangas, Head Coach

Shote tore up the links at the Vassar Invitational. Coming in at three over par with an impressive score of 75 on Monday and an especially strong 73 on Sunday, Shote headed back to the Purple Valley as the indvidual winner of the Vassar Invitiational. Shote’s incredible efforts helped lead the Ephs to emerge as the victors from the tournament, notching first place with a two-day total of 617 in spite of a very wet course.

Jose Raventos '16
Jose Raventos ’16
Jose Raventos ’16
Men’s Tennis (Escazu, Costa Rica)

“Jose has the potential to be a great No. 1 for us, and I think he’s finally gaining some confidence at the top spot. It’s not easy to make the leap he has, but now that he has a few tough matches and wins, I think he’ll really take off.”

– Dan Greenberg, Head Coach

Raventos demonstrated this week what it takes to play in the No. 1 position for the Ephs. Playing alongisde Rohan Shastri ’17 at two-doubles, Raventos easily took down his Conn. College opponents 8-2. Subsequently, the co-captain woud clinch the men’s victory in New London with a beautiful 6-0, 6-1 victory. Raventos has led his team to a well-fought fourth place ranking regionally and 14th place national ranking.