Women’s tennis downs Skidmore in 8-1 win

Women’s tennis (3-0, 0-0 in the NESCAC) took on Skidmore last Sunday in its first match of the spring season in Saratoga Springs, N.Y.. The women came out strong, sweeping doubles matches and putting forth an impressive effort in singles matches. The Ephs topped the Thoroughbreds with an 8-1 victory.

Williams jumped out to an early lead on Sunday, claiming all three of the doubles matches. Tri-captain Rebecca Curran ’15 and Giulia McDonnell Nieto del Rio ’18 took down the pair of Goldberg and Greene from Skidmore, 8-3. Linda Shin ’17 and Juli Raventos ’18 followed, giving the Ephs a victory with a score of 8-2. The final doubles match proved to be another promising one for the Ephs, with tri-captain Maria Pylypiv ’15 and Julia Cancio ’18 giving the women an 8-4 win.

In singles, it was the Ephs again who took the momentum and proved to be the stronger team on the court. Curran took down her opponent 6-0, 6-0 at No. 1. At No. 2, Pylypiv followed a similar suit, beating her Skidmore opponent 6-1, 6-1. Shin rounded out the top three, beating her opponent 6-3, 6-1. Cancio also defeated her oponent 6-1, 6-2 at No. 4 singles, McDonnell Nieto del Rio came out to an early lead, but retired in her match at 4-1, leaving the Ephs at a score of 7-1. It was Mia Gancayco ’18 who closed for the Ephs, concluding the match with a victory in two sets. Gancayco won the first easily at 6-2, putting forth an extra bit of effort to take the second set 7-5. The final score for the match was 8-1.

“We’re really happy with the start of our season,” tri-captain Monica Pastor ’15 commented. “In our match against Skidmore, every player was really aggressive and staying on top of the ball, which is something that usually comes later in the season. Of course, there are always things we want to work on, like being energetic and honing in on our doubles skills early on in a match. For this week, before we venture off to Virginia, we’re really focusing on utilizing our final week in the Field House (a lot of footwork, doubles work) to prepare us for our first tough match against Washington & Lee. We’re all really excited to keep playing matches!”

The women will begin their spring break trip later this week. The Ephs will travel to Virginia for a six-match road trip. Williams will compete against Washington & Lee, DePauw, Emory, Carnegie Mellon and Johns Hopkins while on the road. The women kick off their season with a match against Washington & Lee on Tuesday.