Women’s golf tees up for three spring tournaments

Women’s golf has its sights set high this spring after an incredible fall season in which the women notched four first-place finishes coming off of a third-place finish at the NCAA Div. III Championships last spring.

As the snow melts and the grass begins to show, the women are preparing to continue their streak of success that began last fall. The Ephs showed their strengths on the fairways and the greens in the fall, taking first in four out of the five tournaments the team entered. At the first tournament of the season, the Dartmouth Invitational, the Ephs took seventh. However, the Ephs did incredibly well in a field comprised of thirteen Div. I schools. 

The Ephs had success across the board in the fall. In the Mount Holyoke Invitational, Williams shot a 301, the lowest collective score ever to be scored in team history. At the Middlebury Invitational, the Ephs beat the field by over 20 strokes, and Sarah Hasselman ’17 took home the individual title. She was joined in the top three by fellow teammates Tracey Kim ’17 and Liz Gudas ’18.

On their home course at Taconic, the Ephs took the Williams Invitational by 17 strokes. Co-captain Shelby Shote ’15 took the individual title, keeping the Williams Invitational title within the purple bubble.

Williams competed in their last fall invitational at Wellesley, where Kim medaled. Of the five tournaments this fall, an Eph medaled in three of them.

Looking towards the spring, Shote said, “We’re really looking forward to the season. We’re hoping to continue the strong performance we had in the fall. We’re looking forward to [transfer] Sophie [Kitchen ’17]’s contribution and we’re going to work on meeting our team goals and decreasing our scoring average.”

The Ephs will be coached again by interim Head Coach Bill Kangas, after last year’s Head Coach Erica Desanty departed in late August. Shote commented, “Kangas has been very instrumental in the way our team has been running. He was perfect for the job because we know him well, he understands the team dynamic, and he’s brought a lot of insight to our team, having been our assistant in previous years.”

The Ephs boast a senior class comprised of Shote, co-captain Caroline Sawin ’15 and Paige Whidbee ’15. Kelly Kung ’16 stands the lone junior. Sophomores include Kim, Hasselman and Kitchen ’17. The freshman class includes Gudas, Madeline Abrahams ’18 and Phoebe Mattana ’18.