Softball prepares to hit home-run season

Softball is looking forward to another great campaign after finishing last season with a record of 25-13, winning the Little Three title and making it to the NCAA tournament. Notably, the Ephs team also hosted the NCAA Regional Tournament for the first time ever last season. The women scored a total of 220 runs, maintained a batting average of .300 and forced seven shutouts. The Ephs are ready to bring this positive momentum into this upcoming season and accomplish even bigger goals.

The Ephs look to replace co-captain Ali Graebner ’14, who was honored with First Team All-NESCAC and NFCA First Team All-Region awards. The Ephs also lost co-cpatain Theresa Legan ’14, another strong contributor to the team. Notably, however, Legan will still be a part of the team as the new assistant coach. Head Coach Kris Herman and the rest of the team are excited to have one of their own on the coaching staff.

Co-captain Emma Harrington ’15 and co-captain Mo Frank ’15 will lead the charge for the 2015 season. Last season, Harrington garnered a 2.12 ERA and had 76 strikeouts. She earned First Team All-NESCAC honors and was awarded Second Team All-New England. Frank added 13 runs and 22 hits for the Ephs last season, earning a batting average of .319. Both Harrington and Frank are players to watch in the 2015 season.

The team is also returning Emalie Rott ’15 and Lindsey Precht ’15. Rott pitched in 11 games and had 15 strikeouts last season. Precht offered 14 runs and 25 hits. These strong seniors will also lead the way for the team’s success.

Erica Li ’16, Kacey Cramer ’16, Tayler Donze ’16, Priscilla Pino ’16 and Melissa Condejas ’16 are expected to have big seasons. Li contributed 31 runs and 13 RBI’s with a batting average of .317 for the Ephs last season. Kramer added 21 runs and 32 hits with six doubles for the team, while Donze added 12 runs and 14 hits last season. Pino hit three home runs last season and had 19 runs with 34 hits overall. Lastly, Condejas offered 7 runs and 6 hits for Ephs. This strong junior class is filled with sharp hitters that are expected to offer major contributions to the team’s 2015 season.

Sophomores include Alison Michalik ’17, Ashley Wirth ’17, Dana Cohen ’17 and Brooke Bovier ’17. Michalik hit one home run and added 32 runs and 46 hits for the team last season. She had an impressive batting average of .419 in conference play and was awarded Second Team All-NESCAC and Second Team All-New England honors. Wirth had 19 runs and a batting average of .264. Cohen contributed two runs with a batting average of .333. Bovier pitched 55 strikeouts last season with a 2.92 ERA.

The three freshmen players, Brenna Martinez ’18, Margo Beck ’18 and Lexi Curt ’18 are all expected to bring great attributes to the team.

“I’m looking forward to getting on the dirt and playing with a bunch of wonderful women and incredible athletes!” said Harrington. “With our depth, power and speed, I think the sky is the limit on where we can go this year.”

The women head to California for their first set of games, beginning competitive play at Occidental College on Sunday at 3 p.m.