Men’s lax emerges victorious in double OT

James McFarland ’18 scored first in the fourth quarter ro raise the Ephs lead to 9-3 against Castleton.

Men’s lacrosse (5-0, 3-0 in the NESCAC) remains undefeated after two big games last week, defeating Conn. College 10-9 on Saturday and Castleton 16-5 on March 10.

On Saturday, the Ephs played their third NESCAC match of the season, defeating the Camels 10-9 in double overtime. Co-captain Steven Kiesel ’15, who scored four goals on the day, started off the scoring for the Ephs a little over a minute into the game. Michael Fahey ’17 scored next off an assist from Tom Fowler ’17 to make the lead 2-0, but the Camels scored two of their own to level the score at 2-2 before the end of the first quarter. Kiesel scored twice in the second quarter, but the Ephs could not keep the Camels at bay and entered halftime trailing 5-4.

Conn. College opened up a 6-4 lead before goals from Tanner MacIvor ’16 and Kiesel knotted the score at 6-6. The Camels took a 7-6 lead, but the Ephs tied it up again after an unassisted goal from Jack Lauroesch ’16. Williams took an 8-7 lead after a goal from Riley Hoffman ’17, but the Camels took a 9-8 lead heading into the dying moments of the game. Bryson Gilbert-Bono ’16 tied the score again with 53 seconds to play to send the game into ovetime.

Neither team could find the back of the net in the first overtime period, but with 27 seconds left in the second overtime period, the Ephs got the chance they needed. Conn. College had received a penalty with 50 seconds left, giving Williams a man-up advantage. A key ground ball from defender Ryan Hamilton ’16 started a play that led to Gilbert-Bono scoring an unassisted goal to win the game 10-9.

On March 10, the men took on Castleton and, after a slow start, came away with a dominant 16-5 victory. Castleton took a 1-0 lead before Fowler started off the scoring for the Ephs. Andy Grabowski ’15 netted the only other goal for the men in the first quarter, which ended with Williams holding a 2-1 lead. The second quarter saw just one goal for each team, with Kiesel scoring for the Ephs to finish the first half in the lead at 3-2. The second half was far more exciting, with the Ephs scoring 13 goals and only allowing their opponents to score three. Kiesel scored again to start the third quarter, followed by four goals from Joe Kinney ’15, Gilbert-Bono, Grabowski and Fowler before Castleton scored one with nine seconds left in the quarter. The Ephs ran away with the game in the fourth quarter, scoring eight more goals to the Spartans’ two. James McFarland ’18 scored first in the fourth quarter to make the score 9-3, and Castleton responded with a goal of their own. MacIvor scored the second goal of the quarter and the Spartans responded to this goal as well to make the score 10-5. This would be the last one they scored in the game. The rest of the quarter saw goals from Kinney, Fowler, Duncan Cummings ’17, Ben Fox ’18 and two more from MacIvor. Brian Bissell ’18 won seven of the 12 face-offs he took, Max Friend ’17 won one of three and Tom Riley ’18 won four of nine. Co-captain and goalie Dan Whittam ’15 made nine saves on 14 shots and Miles McCarthy ’16, who played for the final five minutes of the game, saved both of the shots he faced.

Co-captain John Maimone-Medwick ’15 was very happy with his team’s performance, saying, “We knew it would be a tough game, especially with the weather, but it was a great win for us at this point in the season. It was a battle all game, so it really felt good to get the win.”

Next, the men play Bates at home on Saturday at 1 p.m. before leaving for their spring break trip in Florida during which they will play Union.