Women’s lacrosse defeats RPI, succumbs to Trinity

Tri-captain Bridget Malicki ’15 scored two goals for the Ephs against the Bantams and three against the Engineers.

Last Saturday, women’s lacrosse (1-2, 0-2 in the NESCAC) dropped its fifth-straight game against a strong Trinity team, which was ranked No. 9 nationally heading into the game. On March 3, the women defeated RPI at home on a snowy Farley-Lamb Field to get their first win of the 2015 season.

On Saturday, the Ephs took a 1-0 lead early on in the game, courtesy of Hillary Cook ’15. After controlling the initial draw, the Ephs maintained possession and were rewarded when Alyssa Amos ’15 found Cook, whose shot was too good for the Bantams’ goalkeeper. However, Trinity came storming back and by the time ten minutes remained in the half, they had taken a 6-1 lead. After Trinity scored its fourth goal, Head Coach Chris Mason decided to make a goalkeeping change, replacing Brett Bidstrup ’17, normally an attacker, with Margaret Draper ’17.

At the 6:44 mark, tri-captain Bridget Malicki ’15 scored an unassisted goal to make the score 6-2, but the Bantams added another two goals before halftime. At the break, the score was 8-2 in Trinity’s favor.

Tri-captain Becca Bell ’15 opened the scoring in the second half, netting a free position goal to cut the Ephs’ deficit to five. The goal did little to establish any momentum, however, as Trinity scored the next three goals to put the score at 11-3. In goal, Mason replaced Draper with Sara Lehman ’17, and Lehman played the remainder of the game, only allowing three goals.

Williams converted three free position attempts into goals, with two coming from Cook and a third coming from Nancy Palmer ’15, making the game score 11-6. However, Trinity responded by scoring three goals of its own, making the score 14-6 and essentially putting the game out of reach, as its last goal came with just under seven minutes to play. With 2:56 on the clock, Malicki scored her second of the day to make the score 14-7, which is how the game ended.

Cook led the Ephs with three goals, and Malicki added two more. Draper had the most saves, tallying four in the game. The Ephs outshot the Bantams 22-21, but only managed 14 shots on goal compared to the Bantams’ 19. Cook scored the first two goals before Malicki added another two and tri-captain Maeve Mulholland ’15 scored as well.

On March 3, the women defeated RPI 12-11 in overtime. The game began before the original 5 p.m. start time as the coaches and athletes attempted to beat the falling snow. The game started slowly, with no scoring for the opening nine minutes. The women then started to pick up their game, establishing a 5-0 lead in the next 11 minutes of play. Goals came from Cook, Malicki, who scored two each, and Mulholland. The Engineers gained some momentum, though, and brought the score back to 5-4 before Anne Rehfuss ’16 scored from a free position shot to make the score 6-4 heading into halftime.

Halftime ushered both teams inside to warm up for a brief five minutes before heading back onto the arctic tundra. After the break, RPI found the back of the net to cut its deficit to one goal before Rehfuss and Cook both scored to re-establish a comfortable three-goal lead for the women. Two Engineers’ goals in quick succession made the score 8-7, but Bell added another goal at the 18:37 mark to give the Ephs a 9-7 advantage. The next 12 minutes produced no goals for either side.

With just over six minutes left on the clock, the Engineers kicked off a three-goal scoring spree to establish a 10-9 lead. Both the Ephs and the Engineers were slipping all over the field as over an inch of snow accumulated on the ground. With one minute to play, Malicki tied the game at 10-10 with an unassisted goal. However, RPI retook the lead 20 seconds later. In an exciting and chaotic last 40 seconds, Palmer blazed through the snow and scored for the Ephs to tie the game at 11-11. RPI nearly scored again to seal the win, but Draper made a clutch save to send the game into overtime.

In overtime, the game became heated, with four yellow cards shown due heavily to the slippery surface. Just over one minute into the period, Palmer was sent off, and the Ephs had to finish out the game down a player. However, they persevered and found the winning goal through Cook, her fourth of the game, to seal a 12-11 victory.

The Ephs outshot the Engineers 28-23 overall. Draper and Bidstrup again split time in goal for Williams, with Draper making five saves in 36 minutes of play and Bidstrup making two saves. Williams also had 19 ground balls compared to 15 for RPI, and the women won 14 draw controls to RPI’s 13.

“We are really proud of the way we battled against RPI considering the snowy conditions. We fought hard against Trinity, but unfortunately got our momentum going too late into the game” said Mulholland.

Tonight, Williams plays at home at 5 p.m. against Conn. College and has the weekend off before taking on Bates on March 21 in Lewiston, Maine.