Men’s track heads confidently into Nationals

In the final weekend before the NCAA Championship, men’s track and field sent a few athletes to the Tufts Last Chance Meet to attempt to set new personal bests and possibly improve NCAA seed times. The Ephs walked away from the weekend with a handful of personal successes.

Kyrien Edwards ’17 set a new personal best in the preliminary round of the 60-meter dash, running 7.54 seconds. He would go on to take fifth overall in the final with a time of 7.91 seconds.

In the 5000 meter, all three Ephs who competed set new personal bests. Leading the way was Noah Williams ’17, who finished fourth overall in 15:12.64. In fifth and sixth came Daniel Siegel ’15 and Ben Decker ’18, who finished in 15:19.35 and 15:22.65, respectively.

Kyle Kistinger ’17 was the next to record a personal best. He ran the mile and finished second overall in 4:18.48. Matt Tarduno ’16 ran close to his personal best in the mile and finished in 4:25.20.

Co-captain Andrew Beaudoin ’15 was the lone competitor for the Ephs in the 800 meter. He finished fourth overall in a season best time of 1:55.13.

In the 3000 meter, co-captain Aldis Inde ’15 took second overall in 8:22.60. Bijan Mazaheri ’16 finished right behind him in third with a personal best time of 8:23.20. Liam Simpson ’18 rounded out the effort for Williams by finishing in 8:50.56.

With the times from this meet now included in the NCAA Indoor Championship Qualifying List, the following Ephs will compete in the NCAA Championship: Katakyie Ofori-Atta ’16, who finished sixth overall in the 60 meter, Inde, who currently stands in 12th place in the 3000 meter and Mazaheri, who stands two places behind Inde in 14th in the 3000 meter and is currently 13th in the 5000 meter.

The team is satisfied with its results from the regular season and eagerly looks ahead to concluding indoor events. “Everyone who competed at Tufts ran a flat track season best which was encouraging to see. The work our team has put in during indoor is certainly paying off and sets us up well for a strong outdoor season,” Inde said. “We’re looking for peak performances next week from the athletes who qualified for Nationals, and then we turn our focus to training for [the outdoor season.]”

Co-captain Jared Nowell ’15 agrees: “The team had a great all around performance at Tufts with one athlete securing his spot at nationals based on his race there, and many others achieving season best or PRs. It really shows the hard work everyone has been putting in. For Nationals we are sending three great athletes and I expect all of them to represent Williams well on this big stage.”