Men’s lacrosse takes down Trinity, Skidmore

Bryson Gilbert-Bono ’16 scored one goal and had two assists in the men’s match against Skidmore.

Men’s lacrosse (3-0, 2-0 NESCAC) remains undefeated after two games this week, beating both Skidmore and Trinity.

On Saturday afternoon, the Ephs beat the Bantams 9-7 in their second NESCAC match-up of the season. Co-captain and goalie Dan Whittam ’15 and the Williams defense, led by co-captain John Maimone-Medwick ’15, had a very strong first quarter, preventing Trinity from scoring a single goal while the men found the back of the net three times. Jack Lauroesch ’16 notched the first goal of the game, followed by goals by Tanner MacIvor ’16 and Andy Grabowski ’15.

The second quarter had more action, with each team scoring two goals. Michael Fahey ’17 started off the scoring for the quarter. His goal was followed by two Trinity goals before Chris McLaughlin’s ’18 goal, assisted by Duncan Cummings ’17, rounded out the first half of the game.

Lauroesch, Grabowski, and MacIvor each scored their second goal of the game in the third quarter, but the Bantams responded with three goals of their own. The lone Williams goal of the fourth quarter came from Grabowski while Trinity scored two. However, this late surge in goals was not enough for the Bantams and the Ephs left the field victorious. Whittam saved thirteen of the twenty shots he faced and Brian Bissell ’18 won seven of the 14 face-offs he took.

On March 4, the Ephs took on the Skidmore Thoroughbreds at home and won the contest 13-4. Riley Hoffman ’17 started off the scoring for the team with an unassisted goal two minutes into the game. There was little action for the rest of the quarter before MacIvor scored off an assist from Tom Fowler ’17 with less than a minute to play. Kiesel scored the first goal of the second quarter, followed closely by a goal by McLaughlin. Connor Hunter scored two goals for Skidmore, making the score 4-3 before Williams went on an eight-goal run. In the third quarter, Hoffman and Kiesel scored again and Fahey, co-captain Eric Kelley ‘15, and Bryson Gilbert-Bono ’16 each notched goals of their own. Kiesel scored his third to start the fourth quarter, followed by seven scoreless minutes. Joe Kinney ’15 broke the stalemate with a goal at 7:21, and MacIvor notched his second less than two minutes later. Skidmore scored one more goal before Grabowski rounded out the scoring for the day. Whittam stopped 11 of the 14 shots that he saw, and Miles McCarthy ’16, who played the last four minutes of the game, allowed one goal.

Captain Steven Kiesel was happy with the way his team played, commenting, “It took us a while to get going because they had a good defensive scheme, but once we started moving the ball our offense exploded and defense held strong.”

Next, the Ephs take on Castleton State at home at 6:00 pm on March 10th before traveling to Connecticut College on March 14th to play the Camels at 1:00 p.m.