No friends, no problem: How to make the most of TV marathons

photo COURTESY OF NETFLIX The best ways to get through the winter is to log into Netflix and binge watch the weather away.
PHOTO COURTESY OF NETFLIX
The best ways to get through the winter is to log into Netflix and binge watch the weather away.

Whether you’re a foreign film junkie or a die-hard Ryan Gosling fanatic, Netflix has the right TV show for you. It provides the perfect viewing experience, allowing for commercial-less streaming of all your favorite movies and TV shows. Furthermore, whether you’re looking to cuddle up this next week in an attempt to avoid all academic responsibilities, planning a movie marathon with your friends and are looking for some inspiration, a newbie to the TV-binging scene or even have somewhat mastered the art, here are some tips to help spur your next TV show indulgence.

Step 1. Load up on your favorite candy and snacks, because what’s binge watching without some good food to go along? If you’re into the healthier option, grab a bag of carrots or celery to munch on. My favorites include pretzel M&Ms and a big bag of Haribo gummy bears.

Step 2. Don’t forget to stay hydrated. TV binging is equitable, in some cases, to a physically exhausting sport. Along with energy drinks and coffee to stay awake during that 3 a.m. lull, make sure you’ve got some PowerAde to replenish those electrolytes.

Step 3. Get into some comfy PJs. Get out of your work clothes and jump into that onesie we all know you’ve been hiding. It’s time to sit back, relax, and get in the TV watching zone.

Step 4. Find your TV watching space. For many it may be sprawled out in bed, the common room or a nice library viewing room. Wherever you decide to go, make sure you can occupy that space for a while, because we all know that you’ve got a long night of TV ahead of you.

Step 5. Make your TV show selection. Netflix provides shows ranging from feel-good Parks and Recreation to drama-filled House of Cards. Whatever mood you’re in, be sure to match with the appropriate selection.

Step 6. Once you’re about halfway through season 4, make sure to come up for air. Text a friend letting them know you’re still alive and still on for lunch next week. Maybe get up and walk around, a “seventh-inning stretch,” one may call it, to prevent muscle atrophy.

Step 7. Try not to get too attached to the characters. I know you and your best friend are each other’s “person” and that one-day you WILL be Leslie Knope, but that day is not today. To prevent any soul-crushing experiences at the end of the last season, take a step back and put things into perspective. Don’t forget, you have your own life to live.

Step 8. Don’t be afraid to call up your friend who already watched the entire series last week and rant about how stupid Chuck Bass is. The guy’s a jerk and he deserves it. Put your newly found TV series knowledge to use, but be careful not to get too worked up. Remember, it’s just a TV show.

Step 9. When you finally finish the series, don’t be afraid to cry. You’ve just been through an emotional roller coaster, not to mention the fact that you probably haven’t slept in a while. Give yourself some time to mourn the loss of any further watching of that show. Although your first instinct may be to quickly jump ship and find another show to start, take your time in deciding your next course of action. It would be a good idea to go outside first and catch up on the things you may have missed while you were away. Play a game of Frisbee on Poker Flats, or catch Storytime in upstairs Paresky. Give yourself a break from the inner depths of your room and enjoy some fresh air outside.