Women’s lacrosse loses 11-10 thriller to Bowdoin

Women’s lacrosse (0-1, 0-1 in the NESCAC) opened its season last Saturday at Bowdoin, where, despite a late rally, it fell 11-10. Going into the game, the Ephs were ranked No. 11, while the Polar Bears were No. 15.

The play remained incredibly even for the duration of the first half, with both teams trading goals. Williams found the back of the net first as a free position shot from tri-captain Bridget Malicki ’15 at the 25:02 mark made the score 1-0. Bowdoin equalized before Hillary Cook ’15 made it 2-1 moments later off of a pass from Nancy Palmer ’15. The Polar Bears leveled the score at 2-2, but Malicki scored her second of the day at the 14:39 mark to put the Ephs back on top. Bowdoin then scored back-to-back goals, making the score 4-3 in its favor, yet Malicki and Natalie Gill ’16 scored for Williams just before halftime. At the break, the score was 5-5.

The Ephs continued to battle the cold during the second half, coming out strong and scoring two goals in quick succession to make the score 7-5. Gill got her second of the day before Alyssa Amos ’15 netted her first of the campaign. However, over the subsequent 15 minutes, the Polar Bears went on a 5-0 run to catapult themselves back into the lead, taking a 10-7 advantage. With eight minutes left on the clock, the Ephs finally found some momentum, as Cook scored to make the score 10-8. However, Bowdoin responded with a goal of its own, putting the score at 11-8. In the final five minutes of play, the women made the score 11-10 courtesy of goals from Micaela Dussel ’16 and Cook. Dussel found the net off of a a sharp pass from Bell. Cook took to the line for a free position shot after being fouled in the eight, sinking the ball past the Bowdoin goalie. With just under three and a half minutes left, the game was heading towards an exciting finish. At the 1:28 mark, Malicki had an excellent opportunity to level the scor, but her attempt was saved by the Bowdoin goalkeeper. The Polar Bears gained possession of the ball and kept it for the remainder of the game.
Although Williams put forth an incredible effort to break Bowdoin’s stall, they were unable to regain possession in the last few minutes. The game ended with the Polar Bears on top, 11-10.

Malicki and Cook led the Ephs with three goals apiece, while Gill had two. Tri-captain Becca Bell ’15 recorded two assists. Williams outshot Bowdoin 30-25 in the match. Brett Bidstrup ’17, the Ephs’ stand-in goalkeeper, maintained poise and composure in the net. Bidstrup stopped shots from all across the eight-meter and tallied seven saves for the day. Isabel Sippel, in the net for the Polar Bears, made 16.
Bell commented on the game, saying, “It was a tough loss and we know what we need to work on, but we also did a lot of things well. We are excited about this season and know we need to focus on the basics in order to turn things around.”
Results from the women’s game against RPI last night came in too late to report. Williams returns to action against Trinity in Hartford, Conn. this Saturday at noon.