Three divers secure Div. III NCAA berths

Last weekend, Eph Rohan Bhatt ’15 competed in the NCAA Diving Regional Championships hosted by Springfield College. Bhatt competed on the three-meter board in an attempt to qualify for the 2015 NCAA Div. III Championships in Shenandoah, Texas at the end of March.

After getting third place at the NESCAC Championships, Bhatt needed a strong performance to qualify for nationals. Any place within the top six would qualify for Nationals.

Coming through for the team and becoming the 14th Eph to qualify along with 13 of his swimming teammates, Bhatt finished third on Friday night, a score that allowed him to qualify for Nationals.

Finishing first in Friday’s competition was Tufts diver Matt Roher with 585.20 points. Roher was also the top finisher in this event at NESCACs. Springfield’s John Lewis took second with 579.05 points, and Bhatt was the next finisher tallying 575.30 points.

On Saturday, Bhatt finished seventh on the one-meter board. His performance in the event cemented his qualification to the NCAA Div. III Swimming and Diving Championships.

Bhatt scored 468.05 points, while the winner of the event, Austen Blease from NYU, tallied an impressive 533.30.

In women’s diving, Ari Ross ’17 and Michelle Higgins ’15 both qualified for the NCAA Div. III Championships.

In Friday’s opening session of the NCAA Div. III Regional Diving Championships hosted by Springfield College, Ross took second overall in the one-meter board with 511.10 points. Higgins was not far behind, finishing in sixth place with 487.35 points.

On the second day, both Higgins and Ross performed exceptionally well, guaranteeing their invitations to the NCAA Championship.

On the three-meter boards, Higgins finished in third place with an impressive score of 459.25. Ross was very close behind, finishing in fourth place with a score of 456.25. The Williams duo are two of only six divers from the region to qualify for the national competition.

The team reflects fondly on its regional champinships experience this season. “The meet this past weekend went well. We had  three divers in the meet and all three qualified for the NCAAs. They only pick 22 from around the country,”  diving coach Kit Koch said. “The completion was tough and they rose to the occasion.”

The NCAA Div. III Swimming and Diving Championships will take place in Shenandoah, Texas from March 18 through March 21.