Spring Street Blues 3-4-15

Monday 2-23-15

12:57 p.m. Paresky Center: Campus Safety and Security (Security) staff responded to multiple calls about a disturbance in Paresky. Officers and a Dean spoke with student who was protesting a particular table presentation and some of his friends who had gathered as well.

Tuesday 2-24-15

1:42 a.m. Carter: A student placed a microwaveable heating pad in a common room microwave and reported the material in the heating pad turned brown causing a burnt odor. The heating pad was removed from the building and brought it to the Environmental Safety and Compliance Office. The windows were opened for a brief period of time to air out the smell.

3:00 p.m. Hopkins Hall: The Director of Administrative Services brought to Security’s attention that while being cleaned out, a college van taken out over the weekend was returned with three empty, crushed beer cans in the driver’s side door. An investigation concerning who used the vehicle ensued.

Thursday 2-26-15

9:54 a.m. Morgan: Officers responded to a welfare check for a parent.

11:32 a.m. Williamstown Police Department (WPD) called because they received a 911 activation from Chemistry 104. WPD stated it was a fax machine. Officers responded and verified.

6:48 p.m. Chandler: An Athletic Facility Monitor radioed for an officer to meet him in Chandler gym for a football player not following the rules.

9:32 p.m. Sage Hall: Officers responded to a welfare check by request of a parent.

11:25 p.m. Thompson: Officers responded to a welfare check by request of a parent.

Friday 2-27-15

2:16 p.m. Fayerweather: Officers received a report of a broken window on the south side of the building. It looked like something went through the window because most of the glass was on the inside. The on-call custodian and architectural tradesman were called in.

9:00 p.m. Gladden: Officers responded to a noise complaint. There was a small gathering of about 20 students. They were advised of the compliant and cooperative.

9:55 p.m. Stetson/Sawyer Library. While closing Sawyer two students were found sitting in the third floor lobby area in the south part of the library drinking beer. They were identified and reminded that no alcoholic beverages are allowed in the Library.

Saturday 2-28-15

12:03 a.m. Currier: A student reported a suspicious person on the first floor who had just exited. He was described as a white male with a silver beard wearing a grey hoodie with dark pants. Officers arrived immediately as well as a WPD sergeant, who heard the call and was nearby. Currier Hall and the surrounding areas were checked and no one matching that description was found. Officers spoke with several students in Berkshire Quad and none of them saw anyone that matched that description.

3:45 p.m. Dodd House: Officers received a report of large sheets of ice falling off the roof in front of Dodd House. The gutters were full of ice and the icicles hanging off the roof were dripping onto the handicap walkway. Dispatch asked to call in the on-call grounds staff to eliminate this problem before this evening’s event.

7:15 p.m. Garfield: While driving by the building, an officer noticed a student smoking on the Garfield fire escape. The officer informed the student about using the fire escape and that students were not allowed to use the fire escape to smoke cigarettes. The resident was less than cooperative and was advised he will likely be called in to have a conversation with the Director of Campus Safety, the Manager of Safety & Environmental Compliance or both.

Sunday 3-1-15

4:42 a.m. Mission Park: 911 was activated for a student in Armstrong who was vomiting and was very sick. He reported he woke up around 2:30 a.m. and started vomiting. He also reports that he had the chills, fever and may be dehydrated. Village Ambulance transported to Berkshire Medical Center North.

5:33 a.m. Sawyer Library: Officers responded to an intrusion alarm. It was caused by a staff member who was early to work. He thought this was the first day of daylight savings (it is next weekend) and that it was 6:30 a.m. and not 5:30 a.m. Officers disarmed the building for the day.

9:02 p.m. Mission Park: Students were concerned for another who was experiencing pain in the left side of his chest most of the day and then felt some tingling in his left arm. The officer asked Dispatch to activate 911. North Adams Ambulance responded, evaluated and decided to transport to Berkshire Medical Center in North Adams.