Sage, Woodbridge win Do it in the Dark

Woodbridge and Sage won last week’s Do it in the Dark energy competition in the small and large dorm categories, respectively.

Milham came in a close second in the small dorms category, followed by Parsons in third. In the large dorms category, Pratt took second place, while Mark Hopkins earned third place.

Technical problems in the middle of the week-long competition forced the Williams Environmental Council (WEC) to measure only light use and not heating. As a result, no data on either was available for the last couple of days.

On Thursday, the last day for which data was collected, Woodbridge reduced their daily use from the usage on that day by 48.7% and Sage by 27.3%. Both Woodbridge and Sage led the competition from the first day. Both also displayed generally decreasing trends of energy usage from the first day to Thursday, which suggests that the positive feedback from the results WEC published had an impact.

“This definitely shows that it doesn’t take many people who are fired up to make a difference in a dorm’s energy use,” said Peter Lugthart ’18, co-president of WEC. He believes that the competition will continue to have an impact on students’ behavior in the short-term as some people carry forward their actions even after the end of the competition. “The whole point is to create better habits on campus.”