Outgoing CC co-presidents reflect on their administration

The outgoing CC-presidents are pictured by the College insignia. - JERRY LI/PHOTO EDITOR
The outgoing CC-presidents are pictured by the College insignia. – JERRY LI/PHOTO EDITOR

What do you consider some of the greatest successes of your terms?

Moszkowski: We’ve had a lot! The first one that was big for us, and one of the most exciting things that we did was hiring a club sports trainer, which was something that CC had been working on for years. To be able to deliver on that was awesome in a really huge way. We opened up the honorary degrees committee. There used to be four students on it, and now there are 10. We’ve really increased student voice on that committee, which was a huge deal – especially in light of how last year’s commencement speaker [Michael Bloomberg] was received. We’re really excited and really hope that this becomes a tangible and prominent position that people want to run for in the future.

Dzieciatko: At each meeting we’ve been achieving tangible things. Recently, we’ve worked with [the Office of Student Life] (OSL) and [Director] Doug Schiazza on senior week. It’s been a huge financial burden [for students] each year, so we’ve worked with Doug to re-adjust the budget, we’ve worked on [Entertainment Committee] (EComm) funding, which is getting decreased from $35,000 to $25,000. That decrease is helping give senior week a heavily subsidized budget, so students will definitely not be expected to pay $150 in future years. This is just something that has been a huge struggle for years, and co-presidents have been trying to work on it every year. It’s exciting because club sports trainer and senior week funding are things that have been problematic each year, and finally these big tangible things that people have wanted to work on have finally come into fruition. It just goes to show that these inherent big problems we see can be solved, but it just doesn’t happen overnight. You have to work with administration to make it happen.

Moszkowski: The other big one that we’re really excited about is that we’re establishing for the first time [in several years] a careers center advisory committee. There used to be one, and it vanished, and we’re bringing it back. Hopefully, it will give students more input at the careers center in terms of things they want to see and things that would be helpful. So that will be up and running next year.

Do you have any regrets from last year or anything that you wanted to work on but weren’t able to?

Moszkowski: People will always say that they want more food options. That’s really hard.

Dzieciatko: There are only so many times that we can ask [Vice President for Campus Life] Steve Klass, “So when will you have some time to talk about the meal plan?” And he’s just like, “Oh, we’ll get to it and some point.” But we understand that he’s busy, and it’s just not something that students can redesign on their own. And everyone understands that there’s a need for it, and the administration gets that too, it’s just that there are currently other priorities on the table. It’s just frustrating for us because it was a part of our platform, and we couldn’t really act more on it than asking once a month.

Moszkowski: That’s probably the biggest regret actually. I think we were also excited about potentially posting some stuff on [Williams Students Online] (WSO), which turned out to be difficult, because we don’t own WSO. And they’ve been working really hard, and they do a lot of good work, but there are just some things we’d like to see. Last year, we started working on a new Factrack, which hasn’t been released yet but hopefully soon.

ED: It’s completely revamped. WSO has been really great about working with us, they’ve done a lot with the new WSO and Dormtrack, but we’ll see more work with that.

What would you say is the most important issue facing the student body now that your terms are over?

EM: The thing that’s tough for everyone and that CC doesn’t really have much to do with is sexual assault. That’s always going to be the biggest issue on any college campus, especially in today’s era when it’s actually finally starting to be recognized as an issue. I really hope that the climate survey will be helpful, and it will be really interesting to see those results, but the College’s numbers aren’t fantastic, everybody knows that.

ED: As College Council, we’ve sat on the alcohol working group, and we both know that [there’s a link between] alcohol and sexual assault. I sit on the sexual assault prevention awareness task force led by Meg Bossong, and I think that that group is having really great conversations. Honestly, I think it’s just about keeping the conversation going with those things because they are inherent institutional, national and worldwide problems.

Do you have any advice for your successor(s)?

EM: The best thing I can do is reiterate the advice that Adrian [Castro ’14] and Max [Heninger ’14] gave us which is, “Communicate with your co all the time, all the time, all the time. You don’t act individually, you guys have to work as a team.” That was the message we got from them.

ED: Yes, yes, yes. This term we were “Emily and Erica.” All our emails are signed together, we act as a team. Our actions represent us.

EM: And College Council more broadly. And never ever forget that, because that’s what kept us going and in synch and coordinated the whole year.

ED: In the end you’re supposed to be a positive example, lead by example.

• WSO

Hi, just a small correction – it’s “Factrak” and “Dormtrak” without a c before the k. Thanks!