Men’s lax tops Bowdoin in opener

Co-captain Andy Grabowski ’15 had three goals and one assist against Bowdoin.

Men’s lacrosse (1-0, 1-0 in the NESCAC) started its season with a bang on Saturday with a decisive 16-5 victory over Bowdoin in its  first game on Farley-Lamb field. The Ephs dominated both offensively and defensively, not allowing the Polar Bears any chance to make up their three-goal deficit after the first quarter.

Brian Bissell ’18 won the first faceoff for the Ephs and it wasn’t long before co-captain Steven Kiesel ’15 scored the first goal of the season with an assist from Andy Grabowski ’15 with 12:39 on the clock. Bowdoin retaliated, but Williams proceeded to go on a three-goal run before Bowdoin netted another one. Tanner MacIvor ’16 scored off an assist from classmate Bryson Gilbert-Bono ’16, Michael Fahey ’17 notched his first goal of the season, and Kiesel scored his second of the game before the end of the quarter. The Polar Bears responded to this run with a goal by Brandon Lee, but Grabowski scored one for the Ephs to make the score at the end of the first quarter 5-2.

The second quarter was low-scoring for both teams, with each only netting one goal. Riley Hoffman ’17 scored an unassisted goal for the Ephs with 1:41 left in the quarter. Grabowski scored his second of the game off an assist from Tom Fowler ’17 at 13:04 to give the Ephs a strong start to the third quarter and take a 7-3 lead. After a goal by Bowdoin, the Ephs went on a nine-goal streak with Connor Roddy ’16 scoring three of these goals, two in the third quarter and one in the fourth. Fowler and Gilbert-Bono also scored in the third quarter to go into the fourth quarer with an 11-4 lead.

Co-captain Eric Kelley ’15 opened up the scoring in the fourth quarter for the Ephs while Kiesel and Grabowski both netted their third goals of the game. Hoffman scored his second, and Bowdoin snuck in one more goal with two minutes left to bring the game to a final score of 16-5. The defense, led by co-captain John Maimone-Medwick ’15 and Ryan Hamilton ’16, had a very strong game, forcing 20 turnovers and ensuring that the goalies saw minimal shots.

Goalie and co-captain Dan Whittam ’15 played 55:39 and had five saves. Miles McCarthy ’16 was in net for 4:21 and had two saves. The Ephs won 12 out of 25 face-offs and had 43 shots compared to Bowdoin’s 25.

Whittam was impressed by his team’s effort, saying, “We had a balanced attack with eleven people contributing points and a number of our freshmen stepped up and played strong games, which was great to see. As usual, our defense played very well and it was a great all-around effort over all.”

“Our players were very invested this past off-season and having a fast start was very important to them in regards to setting the tone for the regular season,” said Head Coach George McCormack.

Next, the men host Skidmore tonight at 6:00 p.m. before playing NESCAC opponent Trinity at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday on Farley-Lamb Field.