Athlete of the Week: Ariana Ross ’17 and Jorge Lopez ’16

Ariana Ross ’17
Ariana Ross ’17
Diving (New Canaan, Conn.)

“Ari is poised to do very well at the Div. III NCAAs. She has worked super hard this year and has improved so much. She is also an excellent teammate.”

– Kit Koch, Head Coach

Ross easily earned her invitation to NCAA Championships with a strong performance last weekend in the Region 3 Qualifying Meet. On the one-meter board, Ross came in second overall with a score of 511.10 after 11 rounds of diving. Diving off the three-meter board, Ross similarly impressed, coming in a very close fourth place with 456.25 points. Ross and teammate Michelle Higgins ’15 are two of only six Region 3 divers who qualified to compete at the national tournament in two weeks.

Jorge Lopez '16
Jorge Lopez ’16

Jorge Lopez ’16

Wrestling (Wharton, N.J.)

“Lopez was turned up all weekend long and dominated the field. Best of all, he has gotten better with each match since January 10, so we are hoping to see his best wrestling at NCAA’s in two weeks. He has the ability and the focus to achieve great things in the coming days.”

– Scott Honecker, Head Coach

Lopez had an incredible weekend competing at the NCAA Div. III Northeast Regionals. Not only did Lopez defend the championship title he picked up last year in the 157-lb. weight class, but he is also the first Williams wrestler in the history of the program to qualify for three NCAA tournaments in his first three years at the College, earn All-American honors freshman through junior year and repeat as an NCAA regional champion. He heads into NCAA Championships with an indvidual season record of 24-1.