Women’s track speeds through New Englands

Women’s track and field competed in the All-New England meet at Boston University last weekend. The women faced tough competition at this meet with teams of all divisions from New England converging to compete and striving to chase down national qualifying times.

The meet began last Friday morning and continued into Saturday evening. Some runners ran both days, competing in prelims on Friday and finals on Saturday, while others just competed on one day. With the complex schedule of events and smaller group of competitors, the team sent out many different vans to travel to and from Boston as people came and went to take part in the weekend’s events. Looking back on the meet, Head Coach Nate Hoey said, “We took the momentum and lessons learned last weekend and all season long and kept moving forward.”

At this highly competitive meet, the Ephs had two top-three finishers: Chloe Rogers ’17 and Victoria Kingham ’18 both performed personal bests to earn third place in their events, the triple jump and 800 meter, respectively. Rogers jumped an impressive 11.84 meters for a big personal record. According to Hoey, she executed her event exactly as planned and “was aggressive attacking the board which set up a nice jump.”

On Friday, Kingham made huge progress in her event, finishing second in the prelims with a time of 2:12.47. She then came back on Saturday to run yet another personal best, this time in 2:12.18. This was an especially big accomplishment, as Hoey commented, “Victoria ran a great race in the trials to PR and break the school record while winning her heat to advance to the final on Saturday. In the final she replicated that effort and ran an even faster race, breaking the school record again!”

Laney Teaford ’17 also scored for the Ephs and ran a personal best in the 800 meter. Finishing in fourth in the prelims, Teaford ran 2:13.83 to qualify for the finals and returned the next day to run 2:18.74 for an eighth-place finish.

The 4×400 team also managed to score for the team with an eighth-place finish. Co-captain Dianna Mejia ’15, Jessica O’Brien ’16, Alyza Ngbokoli ’17 and Kate Kennedy ’18 rallied to run the relay in 3:52.66, a season best time and big improvement from their previous races.

The Ephs also had a strong showing in the 3000 meter. Lacey Serletti ’16 posted a 10th-place finish and ran a strong time of 10:01.44, while co-captain Alison Smith ’15 ran a season best of 10:12.56, finishing in 18th place. In the 1000 meter Eliza Matt ’18 finished in 15th place with a time of 3:01.23. Grace Weatherall ’16 also contributed to the team’s effort, running the 60-meter hurdles in a strong 9.24, taking 18th place in the preliminary heat.

Looking forward, Hoey explained, “We are going to use next week as one last chance to get qualified for the NCAA [Div. III] National Championship meet.”

Overall, it was an exciting week for the Ephs. As the season comes to a climax, the team looks to continue to apply the lessons learned at practice and throughout the season to the meets.

Next weekend, the women compete in the Tufts Last Chance meet in Medford, Mass., while others on the team will compete at the ECAC Championships at Springfield College in Springfield, Mass.