Wrestling places at Futures, looks to NCAAs

While their teammates prepared for NCAA Northeast Regionals coming up this weekend, six members of the Williams wrestling team (18-2, 4-0 in the NESCAC) concluded their 2014-2015 seasons by heading to Roger Williams last Saturday for the NEWA Futures Tournament. The additional tournament on the schedule proved productive as three Ephs headed back to Williamstown having placed for their weight class. 

Competing in the 125-lb. weight class, Jacob Cytrynbaum ’18 opened up his day in Bristol with a win by decision (7-1) in the first round against an opponent from RWU.  After Cytrynbaum took down his Coast Guard Academy adversary in the semifinals with a win by decision (7-4), the first-year wrestler headed into his championship match against an opponent from JWU, ultimately conceding the contest narrowly by decision (2-1). 

In the 141-lb. weight class, Gabriel Corrochano ’17 fought valiantly in his first bout to secure a win by decision (2-1) against his Rhode Island College opponent.  After succumbing to his second round rival from JWU by decision (10-2), Corrochano faced off against an opponent from Western New England to earn the right to compete for third place in the weight class, emerging victorious from the bout by decision (7-4).  In a match that went into Sudden Victory 1 to bring home the bronze medal, Corrochano defeated his Coast Guard foe by decision (4-2). 

In his first ever meet wearing the purple and gold, Chris Hattar ’18 offered a respectable showing in the Heavyweight class, ultimately pinned in the first round by a wrestler from Norwich who would emerge as the tournament’s champion in that weight class. Hattar would, however, come back to the Purple Valley with the first victory of his collegiate wrestling career, winning in a consolation round by decision (2-1) against an opponent from RIC.  Hattar subsequently secured the right to compete for third place, winning by tiebreaker (2-1) in an additional consolation round against an adversary from RWU. Hattar ultimately ended his day at Roger Williams, losing in his final round to earn fourth place.

After receiving a first round bye in the 184-lb. weight class, Daniel Kurnick ’15 faced off against an opponent from JWU in the second round but fell by decision (4-0). Kurnick put up a tough fight in his consolation round before losing in Sudden Victory 1 by decision (7-5). 

Two Ephs competed in the 174-lb. weight class: Carl Sangree ’18 and Chris Washington ’18.  Sangree secured a win by decision (4-3) against an adversary from Little Three rival Wesleyan in his first bout of the day, but subsequently lost to two successive opponents from JWU by decision [13-6, 7-4].  Washington, who had never wrestled competitively before enrolling at the College, fell in the first round against an opponent from Wesleyan who was subsequently the tournament’s champion in the weight class. After earning a bye in his first consolation round, Washington lost pin in his next match.

“Everybody who wrestled this weekend had great preparation, and the proof was in their performance,” said head coach Scott Honecker.  “Cytrynbaum can go with anybody, and he really made himself noticed this weekend. These guys can really build on their performances this weekend.”

The team will next compete in NCAA Northeast Regional, also hosted at Roger Williams, on Saturday and Sunday. The top three finishers in each weight class will move onto NCAA Championships in Hershey, Penn., hosted March 14-15.