Women’s ice goes 1-1 in final series

Women’s ice hockey (9-12-3, 6-8-2 in the NESCAC) finished off its regular season last weekend, splitting a pair of games with NESCAC opponent Conn. College. After losing 4-2 on Friday night, the Ephs ended the mini-series on Saturday with a 1-0 shutout of the Camels.

Saturday’s game brought another opportunity after Friday’s loss for the Ephs to defeat the Camels. Conn. College out-shot Williams 10-4 in the first period. Goalie Christina Cleroux ’18 came up with 10 saves in the first period, contributing to the 31 saves overall and her fourth shutout this season.

The lone goal of the day came from Kearan Burke ’18 at the 18:24 mark of the first period off an assist from Sara Lehman ’17. Lehman shot from out front. Burke buried the rebound to mark the third goal of her season.

Williams controlling the game speed in the second period, outshooting Conn. 11-7. Although the Ephs struggled to net another goal on three power play opportunities, they did shut down two Camels’ man-up situations.

In the third period, the Camels outshot the Ephs 14-9, but the Williams defense held strong. Williams received a penalty with just over a minute left. Two saves by Cleroux and a block by Emily Kruger ’17 gave Williams the game.

On Friday night, the Ephs were unable to pull out a win against the Camels, falling 4-2. Despite a penalty that gave Conn. College a power play early in the first, Williams got on the board first. Caitlin Conlon ’15 set up Hanna Beattie ’17 for the shot, and Lehman grabbed the rebound at the 6:15 mark. Lehman’s goal was the first of the game.

Williams entered the second period leading 1-0 and left it leading 2-0. The Ephs scored again on a power play with just over two minutes left in the period. Lehman scored, assisted by Burke and Candace Lu ’18.

The Camels entered the third period with intensity, notching four goals to take the game. Conn. took advantage of two power plays early in the third, netting two goals in the first 10 minutes. The Camels then took the lead off a goal by Justina Germano at 15:35.

With just over a minute left, the Ephs pulled Cleroux for the man up advantage. An empty net goal, however, by Conn. secured a Camel win, putting the final score at 4-2.

“I thought that our penalty kill did a great job on Saturday and we had great goaltending. Going forward we will continue to work toward playing a great team game. Our team is at its best when we communicate and play together,” head coach Meghan Gillis said.

The women, now sixth in the NESCAC, will travel to Trinity on Saturday to play Trinity in the first round of the NESCAC Tournament.