College hires new head of OIT

Barron Koralesky will take over as the Chief Information Officer overseeing the College’s OIT department starting on June 15.

Koralesky is currently the Associate Director of Information Technology Services at Macalester, where he has worked in several positions since 2000. He graduated from Carleton, majoring in physics, and later completed graduate work in astrophysics at the University of Minnesota.

“Barron distinguished himself at every stage of the search process, in virtue of his experience, intelligence, professional approach and personal demeanor,” Provost Will Dudley said.

The search committee first met on July 1, 2014 to discuss plans for hiring a new director. Throughout the selection process, the committee received about 55 applications as part of a national search, according to Danielle Gonzalez, assistant director of human resources and a member of the committee.

In January, the College invited the final candidates, Koralesky and Megan Fitch, Chief Information Officer at Beloit, to campus to talk with students at two Q-and-A sessions.

“[Koralesky] impressed the search committee during his interview, was received enthusiastically by the many people at Williams who met him during his campus visit and comes with exceptionally strong recommendations from his peers and current colleagues,” Dudley added.

Koralesky will replace Dinny Taylor, who has served as the Chief Technology Officer since assuming the position in an interim role in August 1999. After 37 years at the College, Taylor announced plans for her retirement last spring. The College hosted a reception on Dec. 17 in Sawyer Library to honor Taylor’s work for the department.

The College has decided to change the job title from Chief Technology Officer to Chief Information Officer.

“This is not to signal a change in the job but is more indicative of industry standards and a reflection of the scope of the work,” Gonzalez said.