Women’s track and field clinches second at New England’s

Women’s track and field took second last weekend at the Div. III New England Conference Championships at Smith. The team faced 38 other schools competing for the same title. The women defeated 37 of these schools, finishing in second place with 58 points. To this point, each team member contributed to this outcome and the 86 points, either through scoring in an individual race, competing in a relay or even offering support and energy through cheering for those who competed. Personal records were set throughout the entire day at an impressive rate. The team left the field house with 14 personal bests and three season best relay marks.

One particularly outstanding race for the Ephs was the 1000 meter. Williams dominated the podium with first, fourth and fifth place. Laney Teaford ’17 earned first place in 2:56.76, while Eliza Matt ’18 finished in fourth with a 3:03.3. The team also saw two athletes make the podium in the 3000 meter, with Serletti posting a third-place finish with a time of 10:13.27 and Rebecca Delacruz-Gunderson ’18 securing sixth place with her 10:21.57 finish. In the 5000 meter, Emily Sundquist ’18 took the track to run an impressive 25 laps in a mere 17:35.95 for a seventh place finish.

The Ephs also had many successful performances in the shorter distances. Victoria Kingham ’18 captured second place, running the 800 meter in 2:15.67, and Katie Spence ’18 finished the 600 meter in a personal best of 1:37.34 for a fourth-place finish. In the 60-meter hurdles, Grace Weatherall ’16 notched a personal best, running the race in 9.00, knocking at the door of a sub nine-second race and finished in third place overall. Chloe Rogers ’16 experienced similar success in the triple jump. In yet another impressive performance, Rogers jumped 11.59 meters and finished in second place. The relay races also contributed to the Ephs’ success. Dianna Mejia ’15, Alyza Ngbokoli ’17, Lydia Graham ’18 and Kayley McGonagle ’18 comprised the 4×200 relay that took second with a time of 1:45.97.

The 4×400 relay also posted a second-place finish, with Ngbokoli, Mejia, O’Brien and Kathryn Kennedy ’18 collectively running the 1600 meter in 3:59.60. The distance medley relay also achieved a top-three finish, as Serletti, Yvonne Bungei ’17, Laura Lee ’17 and Maggie Peard ’17 ran a time of 12:19.93 for third place.

Overall, the team finds that Championships was a fittiing testimony to all that the team has accomplished so far as well as an exciting indicator of what we can expect to see in the coming months as indoor season comes to a close and the outdoor season begins. “Division III’s was our first championship meet of the year, and the women’s team brought the extra energy and enthusiasm to match,” tri-captain Alison Smith ’15 said. “Many girls had personal bests or breakthrough performances, leading the team to place second behind MIT.” Some of the women will compete this weekend at the All New England Championships hosted by Boston University.