Skiing takes sixth at Middlebury Carnival

Skiing raced at the Middlebury Carnival last weekend, finishing in sixth place overall. University of Vermont took first place while Dartmouth took second and Middlebury took third.

Racing at the Middlebury Snow Bowl, men’s alpine came in seventh in the slalom on Friday, led by co-captain Victor Major ’15. Major placed 19th with a total time of 1:33.58. Christoph Lentz ’15 finished a just hundredth of a second after Major for 20th place. Co-captain Carson Houle ’15 was the final scorer for the Ephs, finishing in 31st at 1:36.15.

In the slalom, women’s alpine came in 10th place. Sarah Cottril ’17 was the top finisher for the Ephs in 29th with a time of 1:49.77. Gabrielle Markel ’17 and Lara Lathrop ’18 helped the team with individual finishes of 38th and 47th, respectively. Markel’s total time was 1:51.49, while Lathrop finished with a time of 1:57.02.

On Friday, both men’s and women’s Nordic competed in the 10k classic at Rikert Nordic Center. The men’s team came in fifth place, putting five skiers in the top thirty. Captain Will Wicherski ’15 was the first finisher for the Ephs, coming in 11th place with a time 27:05.3. Wicherski was followed less than 30 seconds afterwards by Jack Schrupp ’18, who finished in 20th. Jordan Fields ’17 was third for the Ephs in 24th with a time of 27:46.4. Two tenths of a second later, Eli Hoenig ’17 finished in 25th place. The final top thirty finisher was Vanya Rybkin ’15 who finished in 30th.

Women’s Nordic finished in seventh for the 10k classic. Hannah Cole ’17 finished first for the Ephs, coming in 12th place with a time of 33:03.2. Just over thirty seconds later, Olivia Meyerson ’16 finished to place 21st. Hannah Benson ’17 was the final scorer for the Ephs, placing 28th with a time of 34:05.5.

On Saturday, men’s alpine placed fifth in the giant slalom. This time, Lentz was Williams’ top finisher, taking 14th place with a time of 2:10.70. Major was next, taking 18th place with a time of 2:11.34. Houle, the last scorer for the men, finished at 33rd in 2:13.81. The women took eighth in the giant slalom on Saturday, once again led by Cottrill who placed 18th with a total time of 2:17.41.

Men’s Nordic competed in the 10k freestyle on Saturday, taking third place with three men in the top 20. Wicherski was once again the top finisher for Williams, coming in 13th place at 26:33.9. Hoenig came in just under 13 seconds later to take 15th place.

The women’s Nordic race on Saturday was a 5k freestyle start. The Ephs placed sixth in a strong field of opponents. Three Ephs placed in the top twenty-five: Cole, Benson and Tsaina Mahlen ’17. Cole took eighth place with a time of 16:59.1.

Alpine Head Coach Kelsey Levine ’10 was pleased with the team’s performance, commenting, “Middlebury is a nuanced hill, especially in the soft snow and the team did a great job adjusting its skiing for the conditions. It was another strong weekend for the men and some solid women’s races as well.”

“Christoph [Lentz] continued to show great consistency in GS, and Victor [Major] put together two solid races as well,” Houle said. “We are excited to take advantage of this off week to get some extra training in and prepare to fire it up at NCAA Regionals at Lake Placid.”

The Ephs have two weeks until their next carnival. From Feb. 27 to 28, they will compete at the Saint Lawrence Carnival in their last regular season competition. The carnival will act as a qualifying race for the NCAA Championships, which will be held in Lake Placid, N.Y. in March.