Men’s track competes for personal bests on V-Day

In its final meet before championship season begins, men’s track took full advantage of Valentine’s Day, entering a handful of athletes into the Boston University David Hemery Valentine Invitational. Williams’ entrance into the meet was intended for the team’s athletes who were very near qualifying standards for a championship meet to have another opportunity to meet those standards and for those who already had to better their seed times. Williams stepped up to the challenge with many athletes setting new personal bests.

Steven Yannacone ’17 led the way for the Ephs in the 800 meter, winning his heat but also setting a personal best with a time of 1:53.13. John Sutton ’15 also won his heat in a new indoor personal best of 1:56.90. Co-captain Andrew Beaudoin ’15 finished in 1:57.17.

Tobias Muellers ’18 continued his phenomenal streak of improvement, running another personal best in the 400 meter this week in a time of 49.87 seconds. Muellers has also qualified for All New Englands, the only Williams first-year to do so.

In the 1000 meter, Samuel Burrington ’17 set a personal best of 2:32.15. Alex Cowen ’18 also set a personal best and qualified for Div. III New England’s with a time of 2:33.23.

Ian Mook ’18 and Brad Clark ’18 each ran a 1:08.31 and 1:08.42, respectively, in the 500 meter. Mook set a personal best, while Clark ran the distance for the first time.

In the mile race, the Ephs qualified two more athletes for both Div. III New Englands and ECACs. Kyle Kistinger ’16 ran a new personal best of 4:19.59, and Matthew Tarduno ’16 also ran a personal best in 4:22.63.

Williams entered one team in the 4×400 meter relay consisting of Yannacone, Muellers, Kevin Parsons ’16 and co-captain Eric Schneider ’15. The quartet finished in a heat-winning 3:21.54.

Noah Williams ’17 led the way in the 3000 with two other Ephs racing competitively. Williams ran a tightly contested heat and finished third in 8:44.95. Liam Simpson ’18 and Ben Decker ’18 finished in fifth and sixth in 8:46.44 and 8:46.97, respectively. Williams, Simpson and Decker have all qualified for Div. III New Englands.

In the 5000 meter, Bijan Mazaheri ’16 set a new indoor school record of 14:27.71 and finished second in his heat. Co-captain Aldis Inde ’15 also ran a great race and finished with a new personal best of 14:37.21. Mazaheri and Inde have both qualified for Div. III New Englands, ECACs and All New Englands.

Over in the field events, Christopher Lyons ’17 finished the shot put with a 12.50 meter throw. He also competed in the weight throw and finished with a 12.66 meter mark. Matthew Marcarelli ’17 and Olivier Joseph ’17 finished with throws of 11.74 meter and 11.69 meter, respectively, in this event.

The team looks favorably upon its performance in Boston. “A lot of our guys really excelled in the fast, competitive environment of the BU Valentine Invitational. We’ve shown we have both the depth and the top end talent to compete with the best in New England,” Inde said.

With the regular season behind them, the Ephs confidently head into Div. III New Englands next week. The Ephs wil travel to Springfield College to pit their athletes against the best the division has to offer in the region.