Wrestling pins all lying in its way

Jake Savoca ’18 secured three match victories in the Ephs’ most recent wrestling meet.
Last weekend, wrestling (16-2) went 3-0 against a trio of opponents. The men defeated Wesleyan 22-20, SUNY Oneonta 38-12 and University of Southern Maine 43-4. Despite an impressive outcome, the weekend was not all smooth sailing for the Ephs. Williams began with a narrow win against Wesleyan and improved consistently throughout the day, easily defeating Southern Maine to close the weekend. Jake Savoca ’18 performed extremely well for Williams, competing for the first time in the 141-lb. weight-class. He went 3-0 on the day with a major, a technical, and a pin. Tim Garripoli ’16 competed in the 165-lb weight class against Wesleyan, sealing a huge win that propelled the men to victory.

Matt Morris ’18, Christopher Chorzepa ’17 and tri-captain Jorge Lopez ’16 all posted three wins during the weekend. In an impressive victory in the 184-lb weight class, Chorzepa beat the No. 2 New England wrestler. The Ephs’ performance last weekend continued a streak of wins accumulated the previous weekend at the Metro/New England Duals. The Ephs went 3-0 at the Metro/New England Duals in a grueling three-round day. Their three wins required solid performances from every wrestler, and that is just what they delivered. The men first defeated Centenary with a large 20-point margin, 29-9. They followed that with a win over Hunter by a score of 26-19. The Ephs finished the day with a win over the host, The College of New Jersey, by a score of 21-15. Although the wins were a team effort, two wrestlers really stood out for the Ephs. Anthony Brooks ’16 faced a nationally ranked opponent in the 197-lb. weight class. Going into the match against Hunter, Brooks knew a win would clinch the dual. Knowing he had to do his part to secure the victory, he did just that, walking away with a win. Against TCNJ, Ben Wertz ’17 championed the victory for the Ephs. Not only were the Ephs determined to go 3-0 in today’s matches, but they had not beaten TCNJ since 2008.

Almost out of nowhere, Wertz threw a headlock to get the fall and the win. On Jan. 25 in Springfield, Mass., the Ephs went 3-1 in the NEWA “Headlock for Hunger” Duals. Williams started off the day with a solid victory over NESCAC foe Trinity by an overwhelming score of 54-6. In the second round, the Ephs fell to the tournament hosts, Springfield College, by a score of 22-16 but finished up the day with victories over Wesleyan, 28-13, and RIC, 31-16. Morris, Chorzepa and Lopez all went 4-0 for the tournament. Lopez’s performance also propelled the Ephs’ victories. He overcame his early season injury in strong fashion and secured big wins for the team, including against Springfield. The men look to continue their great success this Saturday as they host both Springfield and WPI. The Ephs hit their home mats at 1 p.m. against the Pride and follow that up with 3 p.m. match meet the Engineers. The team hopes for a strong conclusion to an already successful season. “The team has been wrestling very well as of late. We have made a few weight class changes and are excited to debut our new lineup this coming weekend. We are looking to avenge two losses this Saturday at home against Springfield. Let’s fill Lasell,” Captain Kyle Gaffney ’15 said.