Women’s track dashes at Dartmouth

Last Saturday, women’s track and field returned to Dartmouth for the Dartmouth Classic. The day began with one of the team’s greatest successes of the meet in a relay event. Williams kicked off the running events of the day with a first-place finish in the distance medley relay. Laney Teaford ’17, running the 1200 meter; Alyza Ngbokoli ’17, running the 400 meter; Anna Harleen ’18, running the 800 meter, and Victoria Kingham ’18, running the mile, comprised the team that not only finished in first with a time of 12:11.8, but is now ranked second nationally. Williams had top three finishers in the 800 meter, 1000 meter, mile and 3000 meter. Elowyn Pfeiffer ’18 posted a second-place finish in the 800 meter with a time of 2:23.71, and Kendall Leet-Otley ’17 followed close behind, running 2:24.97 for a fourth-place finish, taking a significant stride forward in her performances for the year. Stella Worters ’18 gave Williams yet another second-place finish for her race in the 1000 meter, finishing in 3:03.51, and Harleen continued this trend in her event, running the mile in 5:12.80 for a second-place finish.

Lacey Serletti ’16 and tri-captain Alison Smith ’15 represented the Ephs in the 3000 meter, finishing second in 10:16.33 and sixth in 10:19.16, respectively. Grace Weatherall ’16 had a big day, representing the jumpers and sprinters. In the 60-meter hurdle prelims she ran a personal best of 9.15 to win her heat, and she came back later in the day to run a personal best yet again, finishing in third place in the finals with a time of 9.13. Immediately following, she jumped 5.25 meters for a sixth-place finish in the long jump, and then she continued to run the 200 meter in 27.06 seconds for a 12th-place finish. Chloe Rogers ’17 finished up the day with yet another impressive performance in the triple jump, jumping 11.62 meters and finishing in third after her first-place finish with 1.63 meters in the high jump earlier that day. At the start of dead week on Jan. 30, the women traveled to Boston to compete in the Boston University John Thomas Terrier Classic.

It was a great day for personal bests as the Ephs ran against the competition on a fast track with a bouncy rubber surface and banked curves. Lydia Graham ’18, who came back from an injury after missing the previous meet, posted a personal record in the 200 meter of 26.04. With a time of 58.73, Kate Kennedy ’18 also ran a personal best in her event, the 400 meter. “The team is doing well,” head coach David Thompson said. “We have had a number of season and personal best along with one school record set in the last three weeks. That is exactly what you want to see heading into the Championship part of our season.”