Spring Street Blues 2-11-15

Monday 2-2-15

9:50 a.m. Facilities garage: A grounds crew member reported hitting a section of stockade fence directly across from the main facilities garage. The Williamstown Police Department (WPD) and the owner were notified. The owner of the fence is a private neighbor of the College.

3:00 p.m. Hopkins Hall: A student came to Campus Safety & Security to see if Security had cut his bike from the handrail at Wood House. He had locked it to the handrail on the north side of Wood house when he left for his winter study trip out of the country. When he returned back, his bike was no longer there. Officers checked the Security storage garage, but did not find his bike. Security took a stolen article report and faxed the form to the WPD.

4:59 p.m. Hopkins Hall: Security received a report of a scam email from a williams.edu address that was received in Florida. Security sent the report to Williams OIT to find out if there was a solution. OIT determined that it would need to obtain additional information from the caller in order to figure out who may have sent the original email.

5:30 p.m. Towne Field House: Security received a report of a student with a dislocated shoulder. The student had called 911. The Athletic Trainer requested the ambulance and tended to the student. Village Ambulance arrived and placed the student on a stretcher. Her arm was stabilized, and she was transported to Berkshire Medical Center-North Campus.

Tuesday 2-3-15

3:09 p.m. Weston Team Support Building: Security received a call about two people stuck inside an elevator. College electricians also responded. They reset the power to the elevator but that did not open it or turn it back on. The Bay State Elevator Technician was on campus and he responded. He was able to free them from the elevator but could not get it to work. He locked out the elevator and said he planned to resume work the following day.

11:06 p.m. Mission Park: Officers responded for a report that the first floor of Pratt smelled of natural gas. The complaint said that the odor was stronger closer to the Park Street (west) side of the building. The Williamstown Fire Department (WFD) was notified. The odor of gas outside the building was fairly strong. The WFD explained that Berkshire Gas was still working on repairing a gas leak at the intersection of North Street and the Field Park Rotary and that this was likely the source of the odor. A WPD officer and Berkshire Gas technician responded to check the area. The technician said that there was an eight-inch split in the gas pipe on North Street and until the rupture was repaired, the odor of gas would be fairly strong in the area. At approximately 1:15 a.m. Berkshire Gas announced that the repair was complete.

Wednesday 2-4-15

10:10 a.m. Mission Park: Facilities reported a problem with a roof hatch at Mission Park that may have indicated a safety breach. A custodial closet where the roof hatch is located appeared to have been compromised and access to the roof was gained. The hatch and door appeared to have been damaged by tapering. There was clear evidence of footprints in the snow on the roof and it appeared students were looking for a location to hang a divestment banner. Security is investigating the act.

5:04 p.m. Prospect House: Security received a report of a marijuana smell in the building.  Officers responded to the second floor. The suspicious room was identified but there was no evidence of marijuana. Officers removed three candles and took them to the Environmental Health and Safety Office.

10:15 p.m. Perry House: Security received a report of an unregistered party and the use of marijuana.  There were between 25 and 30 people with two 30-packs of beer. There was also a group in the library holding auditions for a theater or music group. Officers asked everyone to clean up and leave for the night. All were very cooperative and cleaned up both rooms.

10:30 p.m. Spring Street: Security received a report of a suspicious individual near Papa Charlie’s. The WPD also responded. Upon arrival, students pointed out an individual getting into a cab. Two students were able to remember a few numbers from the cab’s license plate. An officer met both students in the town lot by Facilities. They were brought to Hopkins Hall to make statements. A WPD officer came to the Security Office to speak with them as well. The North Adams Police pulled the cab over on Main Street and identified the person.

10:57 p.m. East College: Security received a report of a party on the first floor of East College. The caller stated that students were smoking marijuana. A small group of students were dancing and listening to loud music in the first floor common area of East. There was no odor of marijuana. Only a few open cans of beer were visible.

11:18 p.m. Fayerweather Hall: Security received a noise complaint from the Fayerweather Hall basement area. Officers found a large group, 125-150 students, in the basement, drinking and listening to loud music. Students quickly cleared the area when Security arrived. Officers assisted in making sure that everyone got out of the building without injury as the doorway they were exiting is narrow.

11:52 p.m. Perry House: Officers responded to Perry House for a noise complaint. The caller reported noise from the second floor. An officer spoke with students in a room that were talking and listening to music with the door open, informed them of the noise complaint and asked them to close the door.

Thursday 2-5-15

3:43 a.m. Thompson Chapel: Officers did a check of Thompson Chapel basement upon reports of someone sleeping there overnights. Officers found and identified a student sleeping on the couch. The officers woke him up and informed him that there is no overnight sleeping allowed.

11:31 p.m. Main St.: Security responded to a fire alarm from Sherman House at 820 Main St. A resident had burned bacon while cooking it in the toaster oven. Officers silenced the audible, but the system would not reset.  Dispatch notified Electrical Trades for assistance.

12:17 p.m. Bryant House: Security received a complaint of an audible alarm coming from Bryant House. Officers found that the audible was coming from the building’s basement notifier fire panel. The panel showed the fire system in normal mode. Security had dispatch notify electrical trades for assistance.

12:51 p.m. Lasell Gym: Dispatch received a call that a woman passed out and fell off the elliptical machine in the Lasell Gym third floor Fitness Center. Someone called 911. One witness stated that she believes the woman struck her head on the adjacent elliptical machine. The patient stated that she does not remember passing out and falling off the machine, but admitted that her head hurt slightly. Village Ambulance transported her to BMC South Pittsfield.

Friday 2-6-15

11:44 p.m. Carter House: Officers responded to Carter C entry basement for a noise complaint.  They found a medium sized gathering talking loudly and listening to loud music. The group was advised of the complaint.  The music was turned down and most of the group dispersed.

Saturday 2-7-15

2:05 a.m. Prospect House: While closing Lee Snack Bar, officers were informed of a complaint about a party in Prospect basement that had left the basement in disarray. Officers verified the damage. There were cups and beer cans strewn all over the tables and floors and beer poured on the carpeting. There were 10 empty 30 packs of beer and an empty handle of vodka in the immediate area.

3:50 p.m. Chandler Pool: Security responded to a report of a light flashing and an audible alarm sounding over the door to the men’s public locker room. The handicap assistance cord in the toilet stall had been pulled and was the cause of the light and alarm.

4:30 p.m. Thompson Health Center: Officers responded to the Health Center to take a statement from student in regards to a possible bat bite. The nurse spoke with the College’s Insurance provider, who stated that per protocol the student needed to go to the hospital. Even though he may not have been bitten the hospital would treat him as if he had come into contact with a bat. Village Ambulance transported him to BMC South.

Sunday 2-8-15

12:01 a.m. Brooks House: Officers responded to Brooks House basement for a report of a loud party. They found a gathering in the basement area listening to loud music and talking loudly. The group was advised of the complaint and the music was turned off. The area was cleaned up and the group dispersed.

12:26 a.m. Williams Hall: Due to the report of an intoxicated student in Williams Hall in need of assistance, 911 was activated. The student was transported to BMC North by Village Ambulance.

1:43 a.m. Sage Hall: Security responded to an intoxicated student in need of assistance. Dispatch activated 911 for Village Ambulance, which transported the student to BMC North. Dispatch contacted custodians to respond to the Sage E/F entry first floor bathroom to clean up vomit.

2:01 a.m. Williams Hall: Dispatch activated 911 for the report of another intoxicated student in Williams Hall in need of assistance. Village Ambulance transported the Student to BMC North.

1:42 p.m. Williams Hall: An officer investigated a report of a male entering a room Saturday night and urinating on the floor. A student stated that at about 4:00 a.m. she was awakened by the sound of water in her room. She stated that the noise only partially awakened her, and the next thing she remembered was hearing her room door close. She found a large stain on the carpet between the two beds. The on-call custodian was called in for cleanup. The room had been unlocked.