Men’s track gears up for championship bouts

Men’s track and field traveled to Dartmouth last Saturday to compete at the Dartmouth Indoor Classic. The running events kicked off with the men’s distance medley relay, a race that consists of a 1200 meter, 400 meter, 800 meter and 1600 meter leg. Team A consisted of Samuel Burrington ’17, Kevin Parsons ’16, Justin LeAndre ’18 and Peter Hale ’17. The team finished in 10:25.37 and qualified for the ECAC Championship meet. Jared Nowell ’15 led the way for Williams in the next event, the 60 meter dash. He won his preliminary heat in 7.17 seconds to qualify for the final, where he would place fourth in 7.15 seconds and record a personal best. Tobias Muellers ’18 was the only competitor for Williams in the 400 meter. He finished in second place overall with a new collegiate best time of 50.57 seconds.

In the 800 meter, John Sutton ’15 finished in 1:58.76 and Luke Hinz ’17 finished in 1:59.38, taking third and fourth in a crowded field of runners. Andrew Beaudoin ’15 had a nice finishing kick to take second overall in the 1000 meter in a time of 2:31.74. Matt Tarduno ’16 ran in the same heat and finished in 2:34.56. Beaudoin and Tarduno both have qualified for Div. III New England’s, and Beaudoin additionally has qualified for the ECAC Championships. Alex Cowen ’18 also finished well to take second in his heat with a time of 2:38.05. Ian Concannon ’18 rounded out Williams’ efforts in the 1000 meter with a time of 2:43.09. Nowell came back to run the 200 meter and win his heat in a time of 23.24 seconds. With this season best, Nowell qualified for Div. III New England’s. Alex Deaderick ’15 and Muellers finished in second and third in the same heat with times of 23.45 and 23.47 seconds.

To conclude the running events, Williams entered the 4×400 meter relay. Team A consisted of Schneider, Parsons, Steven Yannacone ’17 and LeAndre and finished in a meet winning 3:28.36. Over in the field events, Nolan Raimo ’16 took fifth overall in the long jump with a 6.41 meter jump. His mark also qualifies him for the Div. III New England Championship meet. Youle Chen ’17 continued his consistent streak in the high jump with a 1.98 meter jump to take third place overall. Ian Outhwaite ’17 took fifth overall with a 1.88 meter jump. Outhwaite and Chen also competed in the triple jump with Wilson Wang ’18. In the throws, Liam Pembroke ’18 was the top shot putter for the Ephs with a 13.61 meter throw, a new personal best. Finally, in the pole vault, Pierceson Brown ’18 set a new collegiate personal best by vaulting 4.42 meters. His mark puts him at second in the Div. III New England rankings and earns him the Williams indoor freshman pole vault record. “It was encouraging to see a lot of solid individual performances and improvements from the last time we were up at Dartmouth early in the season,” said captain Aldis Inde ‘15. “Clearly the work everyone has put in this season is paying off, and as we get closer to championship season people are starting to demonstrate what they are really capable of. It will be exciting to see how we stack up against the rest of New England in two weeks. “ The men next compete at Boston University at the BU Valentine Classic this Saturday.