Men’s squash battles to second

MSquash2222Last weekend, men’s squash played exceptionally well in the NESCAC tournament. Williams finished second in the tournament for the ninth-consecutive season behind Trinity. The Ephs served as the host for this three-day tournament.

On Friday, the men received a bye that allowed them a day of rest. Their first match occurred on Saturday against a bitter rival: Amherst. Co-captain Kevin Chen ’15, playing at No. 2; Chris Wilkinson ’15, playing at No. 3; Galen Squiers ’16, playing at No. 5; John Shuck ’17, playing at No. 6 and Varun Sharma ’16 at No. 8 all won their matches, securing a 5-4 win over the Jeffs. After a few hours of rest, the men turned around to face the No. 3 seed: Middlebury. The first round of three matches against the Panthers were tough ones. Co-captain Nick Greaves Tunnell ’15, who played at No. 9, and Wilkinson both lost their matches in four close games. Shuck won his match in five, a feat that allowed him to continue his 10-match winning streak. After the first three Ephs finished, the match was 2-1 in favor of the Panthers.

During the second round of matches, Squiers, Chen and Jamie Havran ’18 won, giving the Ephs a 4-2 lead. In the final round, No. 1 Jamie Ruggiero ’17 secured a win for the Ephs by downing his opponent in four games.

“I am really pleased with the performance against Middlebury and Amherst,” Head Coach Zafi Levy ’01 said. “I am especially pleased with the wins from Jamie Havran, who played fantastic squash, and Galen Squiers, who had a great win. Going to the final match of NESCACs is a major goal of our team and I am thrilled that we achieved that goal this year!”

On Sunday, the Ephs faced the Bantams in the finals. Although the Ephs ultimately lost 9-0, there was impressive play all around. Greaves-Tunnell took a game off his opponent and battled well into the fourth before ultimately losing 18-16.

On Feb. 1, the men battled both Amherst and Wesleyan for the Little Three title, walking away with two 8-1 victories.

On Jan. 31, the men lost to Drexel 6-3 but defeated Brown the day before. On Jan. 28, the Ephs beat the Panthers.

The men play Dartmouth at 5 p.m. today at Dartmouth in Hanover, N.H.