Math major recieves prestigious grant for study at Cambridge

PHOTO COURTESY OF JESSE FREEMAN Jesse Freeman ’15 is the third student from the College to recieve the Churchill Scholarship.--PHOTO COURTESY OF JESSE FREEMAN
Jesse Freeman ’15 is the third student from the College to recieve the Churchill Scholarship.–PHOTO COURTESY OF JESSE FREEMAN

Jesse Freeman ’15, a math major from Bethesda, Md., was selected as an awardee of the Churchill Scholarship, a grant for study at Cambridge for the 2015-16 academic year.

When asked what he felt about receiving the prestigious award, Freeman said, “I was ecstatic when I got the news. I called my family, took some time to relax and hung out with friends.”

Freeman’s list of accomplishments is extensive. He was a 2014 Goldwater Scholar, the recipient of a National Science Foundation grant and an awardee of the Class of 1960 scholarship. In addition, he gave two presentations on applied mathematics at Glasgow after receiving an invitation to do so.

Freeman has also been active at the College. He works as a teaching assistant for mathematics. He is also a member of Phi Beta Kappa, the Berkshire Symphony and the debate team. As a junior, he participated in the Williams-Exeter program at Oxford, where he organized an undergraduate mathematics conference.

Freeman plans to continue his studies in mathematics, pursuing a Master of Advanced Study in pure mathematics at Cambridge. He hopes to obtain his Ph.D. at Cambridge or at a university in the United States and eventually enter academia, conducting research and teaching at the university level.

Regarding his next year in Cambridge, Freeman said, “I couldn’t be more excited. I am honored and humbled to be part of such an excellent group of scientists.”

The Churchill Scholarship is annually given out to 14 students and covers all university fees, while also providing a living allowance, an airfare allowance, visa costs and a stipend for travel. Following Emily Balskus ’02 and Jared Hallett ’14, Freeman is the third Eph to receive the Churchill scholarship.