Wrestling decimates Norwich 37-3, prepares for NEWAs

Last Saturday, wrestling defeated Norwich by a score of 37-3. Nine of the 10 wrestlers won their matches, resulting in a landslide victory for the Ephs. Jorge Lopez ’16 wrestling at 157 lbs., Chris Chorzepa ’17 at 184 lbs. and Anthony Brooks ’16 at 197 lbs. all recorded falls in their matches. The men competed in Group D at the renowned Budd Whitehill Duals hosted by Lycoming Jan. 9 to 10, placing second overall after earning a spot in the championship bracket. The men started off the tournament by defeating Ohio Northern 24-18. They upset York College by a score of 21-17 in the second round, which was ranked 13th in the nation and was the No. 1 seed for the division. The men finished off the day with another win against Rochester Institute of Technology, 31-15. Two of the Eph first-years showed an impressive start to the first day of the tournament, with Matt Morris ’18 downing Brat Taton 7-1, and Jake Savoca ’18 defeating his opponent 11-4. Chorzepa, Brooks and Lopez also added to the Ephs’ win column. The first opponent for the men on the second day of competition was Lycoming. Williams was considered the underdog in this match, but came out with a decisive 24-12 victory. The men lost to Messiah in the championship match 34-6. Savoca and Chorzepa were the only two to scrape out wins in the championship match. There were a lot of close matches, but all ended in Messiah’s favor. In the home opener for the team on Jan. 3, the men defeated Plymouth State, 36-12. The match opened with the heavyweight bout where Ben Wertz ’17 faced Plymouth’s Kevin Ell. Ell won in overtime 2-1. All three points in the bout came via an escape. After the opening win by Plymouth State, the men responded by winning the next four bouts and manufacturing a 21-3 lead. The Ephs recorded two pins on the day with Morris and Chorzepa recording the falls. Chorzepa fought his way back in his match and posted the pin with just 10 seconds remaining in the bout. The Panthers’ second win of the day came via forfeit at 157 lbs. and the Panthers’ final win came at 197 lbs. when Cody Carrillo out-pointed Brooks 4-1, but the Ephs hung on to win 36-12. On Dec. 29 to 30, the men placed fifth out of 13 at the Citrus Invitational. Mount Union took first at the invite. On Dec. 6, the men took seventh place at the York Invitational. Delaware Valley finished first with a score of 135.5, followed by Ithaca with a score of 120 and York College with a score of 115. Wrestling placed second in the Doug Parker Invitational on Nov. 22, only falling behind Roger Williams. The men will battle in the NEWA duals this Sunday at 9:30 a.m. The team has high hopes for the event. “We have been consistently improving as a team. We … are preparing for the New England Championships this weekend. It is one of the biggest competitions of the year and we are excited to compete at a high level,” tri-captain Kyle Gaffney said.