Women’s track secures Little Three title

Grace Weatherall ’16 took third in the long jump last weekend.
Last Saturday, women’s track and field clinched the Little Three Championship as they battled against Wesleyan and Amherst, claiming 132.5 points against Wesleyan’s 131.5 and Amherst’s 86. Starting the day off with the field events, Chloe Rogers ’17 and Candice Dyce ’17 dominated the triple jump with first-place and second-place finishes, jumping 11.37 meters and 10.87 meters, respectively. The Ephs saw another first-place finish in the pole vault, as Stephanie Boulger ’18 vaulted 3.35 meters.

Rogers came back to finish second in the high jump with a jump of 1.62 meters. Grace Weatherall ’16 helped the Ephs in the long jump in her third-place finish, leaping 5.06 meters. Helene Hall ’18 and Dyce scored points for the Ephs with their first attempts at throwing events this year, as Dyce finished second in the shot put with a throw of 9.18 meters and Hall in third with 9.77 meters for the weight throw.

The Ephs saw some strong performances in the running events as well. In the mile, Laney Teaford ’17 and tri-captain Anna Spiers ’15 earned first and second places with times of 5:12.41 and 5:13.65. In the 1000 meter, Williams once again swept first and second places as Lacey Serletti ’16 ran a time of 3:05.42 and Eliza Matt ’18 followed in 3:06.67. In the middle distance events, both Anna Harleen ’18 and Katie Spence ’18 finished second in their races, the 800 and 600 meters, with times of 2:22.59 and 1:40.68, respectively.

In the sprinting events, Jessica O’Brien ’16 finished first in the 400 meter with a time of 59.23 and second in the 200 meter in 26.54. Tri-captain Dianna Mejia ’15 also scored for the Ephs, finishing in fifth in both the 60 meter with a time of 8.34 and the 200 meter with a time of 27.29. The team also saw success in the hurdles, as hurdler Weatherall won the 60 meter hurdles, followed by Kate Kennedy ’18 who finished in second in 9.49.

On Jan. 11, the women competed in the Dartmouth Relays. They faced some tough competition, including teams such as Dartmouth, Harvard and Middlebury. Nonetheless, the team was a competitive presence and had some particular standout performances, finishing sixth out of 11 teams.

The women competed in their first meet at the Smith Invitational on Dec. 6. Crawling into the blocks for the first time since last spring, the Ephs clenched five first place finishes, 26 top five finishes, and 22 Div. III New England Qualifying times.
“We’re looking forward to the next few weeks, building momentum for the rest of the indoor and outdoor seasons,” tri-captain Alison Smith ’15 said.

The women next compete at Princeton in the Tiger Open this Saturday.