Skiing notches 5th place at first carnival of season

Last weekend, skiing competed in its first carnival of the season. The Ephs had a strong showing that landed them in fifth place with 475 points. The University of Vermont took first place with 914 points.

Both alpine races this past weekend were held at Sunday River in Newry, Maine. The Ephs were in seventh place with 219 points at the end of Friday, the first day of the carnival. The alpine men placed sixth in the giant slalom, led by Carson Houle ’15, the Eph’s top finisher at 13th place with a total time of 2:13.07. Christoph Lentz ’15 followed Houle as the second Eph finisher at 18th with a time of 2:13.39.

In the women’s giant slalom, captain Sarah Cottrill ’15 and Gabrielle Markel ’17 helped the Ephs to an eighth place finish on Friday. Cottrill was the first finisher for the Ephs in 18th place with a time of 2:16.89. Markel finished with a time of 2:27.20 for 52nd place.
Meanwhile on Friday, nordic took to the trails at Black Mountain. The women competed in the 15k classic race and finished in eighth place. Olivia Meyerson ’16 finished first for the Ephs in 22nd place with a time of 52:23.0. She was followed by teammates Tsaina Mahlen ’17 in 28th place and Heidi Halvorsen ’18 in 30th place. Nordic coach Jason Lemieux ’01 was particularly impressed with his women’s team. “I was very pleased with the performance of the team this weekend. We had seven out of 11 women battling sickness this week and the results the remaining women were able to pull off were outstanding,” Lemieux said. “On the men’s side, the team skied well and they are fired up to bring things to the next level this coming weekend at the UVM carnival.”

Men’s nordic finished in sixth place in the 20k mass start classic race, led by Eli Hoenig ’17 who finished 20th with a total time of 1:02:16.2. Hoenig was immediately followed by teammate Jack Schrupp ’18, who finished just over two seconds later for a 21st-place finish. Captain Will Wicherski ’15 finished in 25th place at 1:02:38.9.

On Saturday, men’s alpine played a large part in the Ephs’ strong finish, coming in fourth overall in slalom. They were led once again by Lentz and Houle, who both earned places in the top 20 racers. Lentz’s first run, at 55.63 seconds, landed him in 18th. However, his next run, at 50.22 seconds, helped him earn ninth with an overall time of 1:45.85. Houle’s combined runs of 55.94 seconds and 50.43 seconds landed him in 18th place with a total time of 1:46.37. Charles Harrison ’18 and Victor Major ’15 also helped the Eph men to fourth place, finishing in 24th place at 1:47.04 and 34th place with a time of 1:50.07, respectively.

Women’s alpine finished in seventh place on Saturday. Cottrill again led the team, finishing 23rd with a total time of 1:53.01. Other notable Ephs were Markel, who placed 41st with a total time of 1:59.18, and Makena Jones ’18, who finished 43rd with a time of 2:00.75.
Nordic switched disciplines on Saturday, racing in the skate style instead of the classic. Both men and women finished seventh on Saturday. Wicherski was the Eph’s top male finisher in the 10k, at 13th place in a time of 25:08.3. Schrupp finished less than 30 seconds after Wicherski for 21st place. Top-thirty finishers for the Ephs also included Rybkin at 23rd and Hoenig at 25th. The nordic women’s top finisher in the 5k skate race was Halvorsen in 15:14.2 for 21st place. Mahlen and Meyerson followed Halvorsen for 24th and 37th place, respectively.

“The races this weekend were good,” Wicherski said. “Our team was really weakened by sickness and injury but some skiers stepped up and put in some good performances that carried the team score.”
This weekend, the men and women travel to Stowe, Vt., for the University of Vermont carnival.