Men’s squash falls to Navy, sits at 7-6 on the season

Last Sunday, men’s squash traveled to Navy, fighting but falling 6-3.

In the first round of matches, No. 9 Jamie Havran ’18 lost in three games to a very strong opponent. At No. 6, John Shuck ’17 won his first two games convincingly and split the next two to take the match and even the match score at 1-1. Finally No. 3 co-captain Chris Wilkinson ‘15 battled from being down 2-1 and 9-4 in the fourth to take his opponent to a fifth game. Unfortunately, he lost 11-9 in the fifth.

The second round of matches was also very close. Conor McClintock ’15, playing at No. 8, came back from being down 2-0 to take a game and extend his match, but ultimately lost. No. 5 Galen Squiers ’16 took the first and third games convincingly while losing the second, fourth and fifth games. No. 2 Kevin Chen ’15 played through injury but lost in a close three games, securing a victory for Navy. The Navy match “was an intense encounter and a very good practice game for our team” said Head Coach Zafi Levy ’01.

On Saturday, the men faced George Washington. Wilkinson won his match in a tight five game match, finishing the final game in a 12-10 tiebreak. Shuck also overcame his opponent in five games. McClintock punctuated the first round with a solid three-game win. The second round gave the men a scare, however, as Chen and co-captain Nick Greaves-Tunnell ’15 failed to overcome their opponents. However, Squiers, playing at No. 5, took a four-game victory. No. 1 Robert Ruggiero ’17 and No. 7 Sharma won their matches to produce a final score of 6-3.

The men faced Georgetown on Saturday as well. The Ephs only dropped one game over the entire match.

On Jan. 16, the men fell to Franklin and Marshall 9-0. On Jan. 10 to 11, the men won 5-4, 8-1 and 8-1 against Bates, Bowdoin and Colby, respectively. The men lost 8-1, 9-0 and 9-0, to St. Lawrence, Trinity and Yale, respectively, over the weekend of Jan. 6 to 7.
The men beat Hamilton 9-0 and Western Ontario 7-2 on Nov. 22, after falling to Cornell on Nov. 21, 9-0.

After a short break, the men will then face Middlebury on Jan 28.