Wrestling cruises past Trinity 53-6

Wrestling (1-0) kicked off its season last Saturday with a 53-6 victory over NESCAC foe Trinity. With high expectations for the season, including the No. 10 NWCA ranking, Head Coach Scott Honecker and his team knew they needed to start the year off strong.

The Ephs did not get to fully demonstrate their talent as the Bantams forfeited their first six matches. Tri-captain Kyle Gaffney ’15, Christopher Chorzepa ’17, Anthony Brooks ’16 and Daniel Kurnick ’15 were the only Ephs to compete at the match.

Gaffney downed Joseph Gerish for a 7-0 win. Chorzepa also defeated his opponent, pinning Varun Konanki at 3:16, and Brooks pinned Taylor Hennessey at 3:53.

Kurnick’s performance exemplified leadership on the mats. Usually competing in the 184-weight class, Kurnick stepped up to fill the team’s gap in the 285-weight class. He competed against Luciano Cascino who outweighed him by nearly 80 pounds, where he ultimately lost at 6:31.

Jacob Cytrybaum ’18, Gabriel Corrochano ’17, Jake Savoca ’18, Tim Garripoli ’16, tri-captain Jorge Lopez ’16 and tri-captain Dan Evangelakos ’15 all won their matches by forfeit.

“It was disappointing not to wrestle more matches against Trinity as they forfeited multiple weight classes,” Gaffney said. “The wrestlers who did get on the mat, however, performed well and set the tone for a successful year.”

Even with the win, Honecker and his team are aware of what work needs to be done for the upcoming matches.

The men compete next on Saturday at the Doug Parker Invitational at Springfield.

“We are looking forward to this weekend where the whole team will have a chance to compete,” Gaffney added.