Women’s squash looks to improve ranking

Caroline Sawin ’15 returns after earning Second Team All-NESCAC honors last season.

Women’s squash has high aspirations for 2014-15 as they look to move into the top 10 in the national rankings after finishing No. 13 last season. Head Coach Zafi Levy ’01 looks to do so by building on last season in which the Ephs had a record of 15-14, finished fourth in the NESCAC and won the consolation bracket at the Kurtz Cup after upsetting Middlebury and Drexel.

The team graduated No. 1 player Alyssa Northrop ’14, who earned All- NESCAC honors, but return the rest of their lineup. Leading the squad are co-captain Ellie O’Neill ’15 and co-captain Caroline Sawin ’15. O’Neill finished last year playing at the No. 2 position and was accorded First Team All-NESCAC honors while Sawin played No. 3 and earned Second Team All-NESCAC honors. Other returning upperclassmen include Nicole Feshbach ’16, who was also named to the Second Team All-NESCAC, and Lily Grant ’16. Talented sophomores Alyssa Ritchie ’17, Charlotte Walsh ’17 and Ellen Coombe ’17 also return and are expected to contribute greatly to the squad.

Levy will also welcome back Celeste Lancaster ’17, Brigid Bruno ’17 and Tafarii McKenzie ’16, who will add depth to the team. All have the potential to push those in the top 10.

Incoming first-year players include Nicole Friedman ’18, Hayley Parsons ’18, Ananya Mahalingam-Dhingra ’18, Caroline Hogan ’18 and Susana Wilson-Hawken ’18.

The Ephs are excited about their potential, and will look to capitalize on matches against Bates, Brown, Dartmouth, Middlebury, George Washington and Drexel. The team is also excited for the NESCAC tournament in February, as it will be hosted at Williams.

“We are going to be great this year, returning all but one starter,” Sawin said.

The Ephs will open this season on the road this weekend as they take on Cornell this Friday before facing Stanford and Hamilton on Saturday.