Spring Street Blues

Monday 11-10-14

11:42 a.m. Driscoll: Dining staff reported a vehicle, which was leaking gas, in Spencer Art lot. Dispatch notified the Safety and Environmental Compliance Office and sent an officer. A fire safety inspector responded and poured a drying compound on a small gasoline stain underneath the vehicle. The vehicle owner was contacted and was asked to move the vehicle off campus. The owner planned to bring the vehicle to a local Service Center right away. The fire safety inspector then swept up the gas soaked compound after the vehicle left.

Tuesday 11-11-14

10:30 p.m. Carter: Security was called to assist a student who had a piece of glass in his foot. An officer assisted and was able to remove the piece of glass. The cut was cleaned, and a bandage was applied. The student was given extra antiseptic wipes and a bandage. The student said he would go to the Health Center in the morning.

Wednesday 11-12-14

12:05 a.m. Mission Park: Security responded to repeating trouble alarms, which were reporting and then subsequently clearing. An officer responded and confirmed the panel signaling trouble and then instantly clearing. The officer called the on-call electrical trade.

Thursday 11-13-14

10:11 p.m. Lehman Hall: A student who suffered a concussion on Saturday in a football game reported suffering severe side effects. An officer called 911 and Village Ambulance responded. The student was transported to Berkshire Medical Center (BMC) in North Adams.

Friday 11-14-14

2:05 p.m. Morley Science Lab: Security transported a student to the Health Center. The student had spilled acid on her pants in a chemistry lab and had a small patch of skin on her leg that had bubbled up.

Saturday 11-15-14

1:29 a.m. Paresky: A staff member requested a check on an intoxicated student who had vomited in the men’s bathroom in the basement and in the hallway leading to the bathroom. The student could answer questions and was stable on his feet. He reported that he was just feeling sick and wanted to go back to his room to sleep. The student left Paresky with friends. The custodians cleaned up the vomit.

12:38 p.m. Hopkins Hall: Dispatch received a call from a parking lot supervisor at the University of Rochester reporting a Williams College van blocking access to a parking lot. The vehicle information was taken and officers contacted Facilities to find the person who had checked out the van. Dispatch sent an email and called the cell phone and left a message to move the van right away. Then, officers called the University of Rochester Parking lot Supervisor to inform him of what Security had done to attempt to contact the van driver.

7:30 p.m. Chandler Gym: Southern Vermont College vs. Williams’ men’s basketball: The crowd became very agitated during the game. Several people came forward to officers with complaints about the behavior and words directed at SVC players and fans by Williams students that became racially and socially volatile and offensive. Additional officers were brought in and dispersed to manage the crowd until the end of the game. The incident requires a thorough investigation and many students and staff were asked to come in to have interviews and write statements.

10:15 p.m. Center for Developmental Economics (CDE): Security received a report of suspicious activity. CDE students stated that someone had let three males into the building. The men started asking if any of the students had various car parts. One student said they did not and asked them to leave. The van was still in the driveway. While checking the van, one of the three men flagged down the officer and informed him that they were from out of town, the van had broken down and they were looking for assistance. They were making some phone calls and said they would probably need to leave it there and stay in a motel for the night.

Sunday 11-16-14

1:18 a.m. Gladden: A student called and reported that someone had banged on the windows in an aggressive manner in the last five minutes. Officers responded immediately, checked the exterior and interior and found no issues.

11:54 a.m. Mills: A student reported he may have broken his leg from a fall the previous night. An officer called Village Ambulance. The student was transported to BMC North.