Poll says majority of students support adding night classes

A poll of 189 students found support for the addition of night classes--Christopher Huffaker/Executive Editor
A poll of 189 students found support for the addition of night classes–Christopher Huffaker/Executive Editor

A poll conducted by the Record via email earlier this week showed that a majority of students are either in favor of or strongly in favor of expanding night classes to Wednesday nights, based on two proposals from the Calendar and Scheduling Committee. The Committee made a preliminary proposal at last month’s faculty meeting (“Faculty considers more night classes,” Oct. 22, 2014).

The proposal, which has since been made more precise, is to add a class slot on Wednesdays from 7 to 9:40 p.m., and to add at least one class that meets Mondays and Wednesdays from 7 to 8:15 p.m.

Poll respondents favored adding both time slots as well as expanding night classes in general.

The poll was sent at 1:31 p.m. on Monday to 500 students randomly selected from the 2205 students listed in the first-year facebooks for the classes of 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018. By the time the poll closed Tuesday afternoon, 189 students had responded, giving the poll a margin of error of 7% for a 95% level of confidence.

In response to the question, “Are you in favor or opposed to the existence of night classes?” 23% of students said they were “Strongly in favor,” 36% “In favor,” 18% “Indifferent/don’t know,” 17% “Opposed” and 6% “Strongly opposed.”

For the question, “What is your opinion on the idea of there being a class slot 7-9:40 p.m. on Wednesdays?” 19% were strongly in favor, 39% in favor, 14% indifferent/don’t know, 18% opposed and 10% strongly opposed.

Finally, for the question, “What is your opinion on the idea of there being at least one class offered at 7-8:15 p.m. on Mondays and Wednesdays?” 20% were strongly in favor, 42% in favor, 13% indifferent/don’t know, 15% opposed and 10% strongly opposed.

Grouping strongly opposed with opposed and strongly in favor with in favor, and removing indifferent/don’t knows, night classes, Wednesday 7-9:40, and Mondays and Wednesdays 7-8:15 were supported by 72%, 67% and 71% of voters with clear opinions, respectively.

11.7% of respondents said they would consider changing their major if they were required to take a class in the evening, while 21.3% said they would not consider taking an elective class in the evening. 58.5% said they would consider it, and 20.2% said they would like to take a class. 23% said being required to take a class in the evening would not affect their life at all.

At the faculty meeting, opposition to night classes mainly came from the departments of music and theatre. The sample did not include a significant enough number of students involved  in music, theater and dance to break down their opinions. The survey  included 42 people who reported participating in music, 18 in theater, 15 in a capella, 12 in dance, 91 in sports, 130 in other extra-curriculars and 115 in paid work.