Men’s squash aims for successful campaign

Men’s squash, coming off of a somewhat disappointing finish last year, is looking forward to a competitive season and an opportunity to make up for some tough losses late last year.
Last season, the men advanced to the finals of the NESCAC tournament before falling to Trinity. At Nationals, a hard-fought loss to Bates placed the Ephs at No. 14 in the final national rankings.

The Ephs have five returning seniors, all of whom are expected to play in the starting lineup. The experienced class of of Kevin Chen ’15, who received First Team All-NESCAC honors last season; Kai Graham ’15; Connor McClintock ’15; co-captain Nick Greaves-Tunnel ’15 and co-captain Chris Wilkinson ’15 will lead the Ephs this season. The men also return upperclassmen contributors Galen Squiers ’16 and Varun Sharma ’16 and look forward to getting Michael Petrick ’16 and John Shuck ’17 back from injury after they both missed much of last season. The Ephs welcome four first-years to the team this season, further fortifying the lineup.

The 2014-15 schedule for the men’s squash team is heavily loaded with a total of 14 matches in the month of January, culminating in the NESCAC tournament on Feb. 4 and Men’s Nationals beginning Feb. 20.

Key matches this year that will play a huge role in determining the Ephs’ final national ranking will be against Bates, Middlebury and Drexel. Those three matches will be major factors in seeding for the end of the year tournaments as well.

“We’ve spent a lot of time this preseason carving the rails,” Greaves-Tunnel said. “We’re in it for the long haul this year, all the way to Nationals.”

The first contest of the year will take place at the Cornell Round Robin this Friday against a strong Cornell squad ranked No. 8 in the preseason rankings. The men will also play against Western Ontario on Saturday and visit Hamilton later that same day.