Ephs swim toward 13th straight NESCAC title

Ben Lin ’17 returns after earning Rookie of the Year last season.

Men’s swimming and diving is coming off another successful season and NESCAC title as they hit the water for the 2014-15 campaign. The Ephs have won 12 consecutive titles under the direction of Head Coach Steve Kuster.

During the first semester of the 2014-15 school year, coinciding with the first two months of the swim season, Kuster has been on sabbatical with his family in Australia and New Zealand. Taking the reins in the interim will be Nick Stone. Now in his third year coaching at Williams, Stone has been a part of the winning tradition and was instrumental in the past two NESCAC runs on the men’s side and the 2014 women’s NESCAC crown as well.

The men returning for this season have their work cut out for them, but the squad looks poised to continue and expand upon its great history. Among the key returns is co-captain Christian Gronbeck ’15, who is the NESCAC distance swimmer with a target on his back having won back-to-back titles in 1650 and 1000 yard freestyle events. Thad Ricotta ’15 is always a force in the butterfly and mid-distance freestyle events, and Tim Lattimer ’15 looks to continue his success in the 200 breaststroke and both the medley events. Jake Tamposi ’16 holds down the sprint breaststroke for Williams, and Nathaniel Boley ’17 returns with two NESCAC titles already under his belt in the 200 backstroke and 200 IM. Ben Lin ’17 will be back in action after recording five individual Williams records and two top-five performances at the NCAA Div. III Championships last March.

On the boards for the Williams men is Rohan Bhatt ’15, who is coming off another tremendous year for the Ephs. He finished 18th in both the one-meter and three-meter competitions at last year’s NCAA Div. III Championships.

Several young men added to the team will undoubtedly make their names known shortly, as recruiting classes at Williams and from schools around the country continue to seem faster every year.

“I’m excited to see how we come together as a team and make the most of our opportunities this year,” co-captain Chris Weihs ’15 said.

The men’s journey begins on Friday at 6 p.m. at home in the Samuelson-Muir pool against Springfield in a dual meet. Williams swims again the next day on the road against Union.