All Campus Entertainment compiles initial 2015 Spring Fling shortlist

On Nov. 8, All Campus Entertainment (ACE) named 13 musical artists to its shortlist of potential performers for the ACE Spring Concert

Potential entertainers include hip-hop artists Hoodie Allen, G-Eazy, Fabolous, Ace Hood, Joey Bada$$, Vic Mensa, Ty Dolla Sign, Pusha T and YG. Also under consideration are indie bands the Cold War Kids and MS MR. Electronic dance groups Cash Cash and The White Panda are also on the shortlist.

The shortlist was informed in part by a survey released by ACE to the student body on Sept. 25. The 978 students who responded to the survey were asked to rank several genres according to their preferences. From this data, ACE calculated an average ranking for each genre. Hip-hop or R&B had the highest average ranking of 3.67 followed by pop at 3.56, then indie at 3.43 and electronic dance music at 3.34.

Using the results of this survey, which also gave students the opportunity to suggest specific artists, ACE’s agent provided a large list of potential artists. The ACE concerts committee then researched the artists and selected a smaller group for inclusion on the shortlist.

“In past years we’d make a final decision without the input of anyone but the committee, the board of ACE, our agent and Ben Lamb, ACE’s faculty advisor. This year, however, we inserted the additional step of adding a survey to ask the student body if they took any issues with the artist, sort of like an online forum with the purpose of increasing participation in the process,” Funmilayo Adejobi ’17, co-Chair of ACE concerts, said.

ACE implemented these changes after some students took offense at the use of derogatory language in a song by Chance the Rapper, whom ACE booked last year before he had to cancel due to illness.

“This forum was added as a result of the talks that ACE had last semester with CC [College Council] and MinCo with the thought that ACE concerts might miss things, like we did last year with the word ‘f****t’ in Chance’s ‘Favorite Song,’ which might be caught by other people or groups of people in our community,” Adejobi said.

These changes are intended to avoid any similar controversy this year by allowing students to raise objections to artists before ACE books its performer.

“These [changes] will nonetheless allow the committee to make a more transparent decision in choosing the artist. The committee is now comprised of more people and open for anyone to join. We think that the current structure allows for much more input, without expecting any person to act as a voice for a particular group. We think the process is more clear and helpful in addressing the issues with the old process, as was made apparent last year,” CC co-President Emily Dzieciatko ’15 said.