Volleyball clinches two seed for NESCACs

Tori Jasuta ’17 recorded 24 kills for the Ephs against the Polar Bears last Saturday.

Volleyball (22-4, 8-2 in the NESCAC) fell in its final regular conference match against Bowdoin (20-7, 6-4 NESCAC) in a tough five-set match last Saturday. The set scores were 25-18, 27-25, 25-19, 22-15, 11-15.

It was Senior Day for the women on Saturday and the women started hot in the first set, taking the first four points. A serving streak from Tori Jasuta ’17 took the Ephs to double digits, and the Polar Bears called the first time-out after a few errors set the score at 14-10, in favor of the Ephs. A dome block from Raea Rasmussen ’15 and Katherine Lane ’16 followed by a service ace from setter Ryan Farley ’16 maintained the Ephs’ four-point lead. The Polar Bears called their second time-out when a kill by captain Claire Miller ’15 set the score at 23-18. Miller and Catherine Egan ’16 rejected an attack from the Polar Bears to bring the Ephs to game point, and a final service ace by Emily O’Day ’15 secured the first set, 25-18.

The Ephs started slowly in the second set as they trailed 4-8 before a quick middle attack from Lane brought the Ephs within one point at 9-10. A service ace from Jasuta coming out of a time-out tied the score for the first time at fifteen before the Polar Bears scored a side-out and pushed a four-point run. Williams fought back until they trailed by one point, pressuring Bowdoin to call a time-out at 19-20. Three consecutive heavy kills from Jasuta tied the score again at twenty-three, and a middle block from Rasmussen and Miller took the Ephs to 25-24. The Polar Bears fought back, swinging away to tie the score again at twenty-five before scoring two points, winning Bowdoin the second set, 25-27.

A service ace from Farley opened up the third set, and the Ephs went on a four-point run to tie the score at 6-6. The Polar Bears inched ahead, but strong defense from the Ephs tied the score at 11 and again at 13. A kill from Miller, assisted by Jasuta, gained the Ephs their first lead of the set, and the Polar Bears called for a breather when the score reached 15-13. Williams pushed five more points before Bowdoin called another time-out at 20-14. A back-row kill from Jasuta brought the team to game point, and the Ephs captured the third set 25-19.

The teams went point-for-point early in the fourth set until the Polar Bears took the lead, 10-14, and the Ephs called a time-out. Williams inched back slowly, shrinking the point deficit to 15-17, forcing Bowdoin to call a time-out. A kill from the Polar Bears broke twenty, but the Ephs were close behind at 17-20. The Ephs fought on to 20-23, but an error brought the Polar Bears to game point. Williams pushed two more points before Bowdoin scored a kill from the pin, downing the Ephs in the fourth set 23-25.

The fifth set saw a Polar Bear lead until Jasuta smashed a kill to tie the set 7-7. The Ephs called a time-out down 7-9 and managed to regroup as Lane scored a kill in the deep corner of the Polar Bear’s court. A big block from the middle landed the score at 10-12 and both teams fought on. An error gave Bowdoin game point, and the Polar Bears scored a kill, taking the final set 11-15.

Williams led the way with a whopping 50 kills, 24 of which were from powerhouse Jasuta. Farley led the team with 38 assists and three service aces. Jasuta also scored four service aces and led the defense with 14 digs. Rasmussen and Miller protected the net, gathering five and four blocks, respectively.

“The loss against Bowdoin was tough but it has motivated us to prepare for the NESCAC tournament,” Miller said. “We plan on defending our title and winning the NESCAC Championship once again.”

The women will travel this weekend to Tufts for the NESCAC Championship tournament, opening play on Friday against Hamilton at 5 p.m.