Men’s hockey takes part in NESCAC Movember

Men’s hockey has joined the rest of the NESCAC men’s hockey teams in the Movember challenge. Every player on each team will be growing a moustache for the duration of November and will set up a page on the Movember website us.movember.com, which will display an updated photo of their muzzy. Each page will also have a link for donations to their efforts, and all donations will go to the Movember Foundation, which has raised $559 million to date and funded over 800 programs in 21 countries. This work is saving and improving the lives of men affected by prostate cancer, testicular cancer and mental health problems.

“After watching a close family member battle and recover from prostate cancer over the past few years, Movember has grown a special significance for me,” Matt Werner ’16 said. “Men’s health is a very serious issue in the United States, and Movember is a great opportunity to give back and support that cause.”

The NESCAC teams are competing to see which team will raise the most money by the end of the month, and men’s hockey is hoping the Williams community will help us beat archrival Amherst in yet another way.

“I see Movember as a great opportunity to raise awareness about various forms of men’s cancers and mental health issues,” Tyler Young ’17 said. “The movement gives me an excuse to grow a moustache while bringing attention to a great cause. It’s a win-win.”

Players to watch for the best moustache include newcomer David Italiano ’18, reigning champ George Hunkele ’17 and dark horse candidate David Jarrett ’15. Even Assistant Coach James Lacour will be joining the cause, and though Amherst is out to an early lead, the men feel confident that they can pull out the victory.