Field hockey suffers 4-1 heart-breaker to Trinity

Field hockey (9-7, 6-4 in the NESCAC) suffered a heart breaking 4-1 loss to Trinity last Saturday that eliminated them from the NESCAC tournament and postseason contention. After the women’s two consecutive wins against conference foes Bates and Hamilton, they felt confident that they were ready for NESCAC tournament play. Despite defeating the Bantams 2-1 during the regular season, the Ephs failed to capitalize this time around, suffering a 4-1 loss.

It was Trinity player, Kelcie Finn who set the tone of the game from the first whistle. She wasted no time avenging the Bantam’s loss to the Ephs in the regular season by scoring a first half hat trick. Her first goal was at 16:06; her teammate slid her the ball, which she fired into the net. Twenty seconds later, Finn swept another one past netminder Margaret Draper ’17. Her final goal of the half came at 19:18, where she once again sailed one past Draper on an unassisted shot.

The Ephs’ inability to shut down Finn resulted in the 3-0 lead for the Bantams entering the second half. Even though Trinity capitalized on the few times the women’s defense broke down, the game was fairly fought. For the entirety of the game, both teams got off 12 shots on net. Williams even outshot Trinity in the second half, six shots to Trinity’s three. The Bantam goalkeeper played a tremendous game and stopped seven of the eight Eph shots on goal. As frustrated as the women were by the goalkeeper’s saves and their inability to capitalize, they never stopped fighting for every scoring opportunity. However, the Ephs only created two penalty corners. The Ephs excel in their penalty corner plays, so the lack of opportunities in that aspect of the game definitely disrupted their offensive attack.

The Ephs came out in the second half strong, knowing they had some catching up to do from being down 3-0. However, once again it was Trinity who scored another unassisted goal at 33:45, widening its lead to 4-0. Even with this score, the Ephs maintained their relentless attitudes and it finally paid off at the 44:04 mark. Kate Pattison ’18 converted a pass to Hannah Goodrick ’18 who knocked one into the net. Although the Ephs finally made it onto the scoreboard, there was not enough time for them to continue their comeback streak.

“It is definitely hard to finish a season the way we did,” co-captain Annie Rojas ’15 said. “As difficult as it is to end the season earlier than we had hoped, we still consider the season at large to have been incredibly successful. We had our best record in seven seasons and this team was a group of such fun and hard working individuals, and I am grateful to have been able to share my last season with them.”

The Ephs loss against the Bantams was the definite end to their season. With a record of 9-7, the Ephs finish with a winning season and a 6-4 record in the conference. The Ephs will graduate Haley Ladd-Luthringshauser ’15, Jaclyn Porfilio ’15, co-captain Caitlin Conlon ’15 and co-captain Annie Rojas ’15. The returning players are sad to see them leave but are excited and determined for what next season will bring.