Athletes of the Week 11/5/14: Lilly Wellenbach ’15 and Ben Decker ’18

Lilly Wellenbach '15
Lilly Wellenbach ’15

Lilly Wellenbach ’15
Women’s soccer
West Bath, Maine

“Lilly’s individual abilities tactically, competitively and athletically are incredibly impressive, but really it’s her organization and leadership that brings out the very best in each of her teammates day in and day out to help us be the team that we are right now. She is someone we all rely on to hold us together.” – Head Coach Michelyne Pinard

Wellenbach notched the lone goal for the women as they defeated Colby to advance to the NESCAC semifinals. In the 67th minute of the match, Wellenbach confidently struck a penalty kick into the back of the net to break a defensive stalemate. Wellenbach also anchored the Eph defense that issued its fifth-straight clean sheet and twelfth on the year.

Ben Decker '18
Ben Decker ’18

Ben Decker ’18
Men’s cross country
Yarmouth, Maine

“Ben is a great cross country competitor who gets into his pace and churns it out while pushing himself to the brink of oxygen debt, even testing his limit. Ben is a model calm teammate, smart trainer with attention to all aspects of staying healthy and a racer with fire burning deep inside.” – Head Coach Pete Farwell ’73

Decker captured NESCAC Rookie of the Year and Second-Team All-NESCAC honors last week at the NESCAC Championships at Middlebury. Decker was the fourth Eph to cross the finish line and the 11th overall. In an exciting finish, he out-sprinted Amherst first-year Mohamed Hussein to clinch  the Rookie of the Year award by one second.